Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Someone Is Wrong on the Internet



If there is one mark of perfection, it is simply that it can tolerate the imperfections of others.  It is able to adjust.  Fénelon

As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.  --  Romans 14:1


How do I know I am not perfect?  I am still upset by the faults of others.  Jesus became indignant over religious rules that kept people in hopeless bondage.  His anger unleashed in the courts of the temple was symbolic, much like the charge to Saul to destroy all the Amalekites.  All of the old nature is under condemnation and has no place in God’s sanctuary. 

Meanwhile our declining culture has moved from religious Pharisees to political ones, from Puritans condemning immorality to the grossly deviate and immoral condemning Puritans. 

Intolerance is one manifestation of fleshly power.  Tolerance is a manifestation of spiritual power – again with the true meaning of meekness. 

Tolerance is not indifference.  I am indifferent about a lot of things, including who wins the football game on Sunday.  I have even become indifferent over the years to people who are Cubs fans or non-Cowboy fans or people who like soccer.  I have not been perfected with regard to such things; I just don’t care anymore. 

Arguing with fools can be entertaining; arguing with the wise can be enlightening – except that the wise rarely argue.  A wise person corrects a misunderstanding on the part of another.  He or she does not quarrel.  The wise have nothing to prove because Truth, sooner or later, proves itself.  The fool fails to learn even from that – if he survives. 

6 comments:

John Lien said...

Intolerance is one manifestation of fleshly power. Tolerance is a manifestation of spiritual power – again with the true meaning of meekness.

Nice.

I guess much of my intolerance stems from the fact that the actions of those I can't tolerate pose an existential threat. Boils down to fear I suppose. A heaping helping of faith can fix that.

The wise have nothing to prove because Truth, sooner or later, proves itself.

Can't argue with that.

robinstarfish said...

I used to care but... things have changed. bd

That's the part I love about getting older. I give many less effs.

mushroom said...

Apathy really is its own reward.

I used to have all kinds of energy and could afford to get mad about everything. I'm more selective and focused these days.

Rick said...

I think it was St. Dorothy The Meek who said it best, "Be in the Oz, but not of it."

Rick said...

Love the title, btw, and Smiley reminds of Clint in Pale Rider.

mushroom said...

Thanks, Rick. The Preacher is a good comparison. He was a noble dog. I learned more about right living from that dog than from most people I've known.