Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, January 7, 2013

Hand in Glove



And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him … – Colossians 1:21-22

To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.  For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot.  Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. – Romans 8:6-8


I have done bad things.  I do both fewer and less these days – that is, fewer bad things and those are less bad (mostly).   While disobedience is to be avoided, our real problem is defiance, a mindset that refuses to accept our status as branches drawing life from the Vine.  We start thinking that, because we are walking around in a seemingly separate cloud of atoms, we are somehow independent and able to act according to our own intentions and desires. 

We are alienated in our minds.  We can’t really be independent anymore than a marionette could walk around without strings or Kermit the Frog could sing without a little help from his friends.  I could try duct-taping my gloves to the chainsaw, but I don’t think they would cut much wood.  When your glove fetches a beer from the refrigerator, your hand is usually going to be in it.  

From God's point of view, the flesh -- that is, our old nature --  never accomplishes anything of lasting value.  The "glove" of the physical body can be animated by either the old fleshly nature or the new spiritual nature.  We should set our minds accordingly.

  

3 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Rick said...

Sometimes I think my cells know God better than I do. The way Adam knew Eve, I mean.
I don't treat them terribly, but many of my cells seem to have been handed a tough row to hoe. I mean, what's in it for those cells on the bottom of my feet? Poor buggers. Why don't they get up and leave. Someone keeps them on mission. I just know it ain't me.

mushroom said...

Yes, that seems to be what God has been trying to tell me the last few days (probably a lot longer than that):

Son, to get on My Way, you have to get out of My way.