Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Friday, January 25, 2013

A Cry for Repentance. Or Antidepressants.



The Lord said to me: “Do not pray for the welfare of this people.  Though they fast, I will not hear their cry, and though they offer burnt offering and grain offering, I will not accept them. But I will consume them by the sword, by famine, and by pestilence.” – Jeremiah 14:11-12

If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will give him life—to those who commit sins that do not lead to death. There is sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for that.  All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that does not lead to death. – 1 John 5:16-17


Can a person or a nation get so completely out of kilter, so utter dysfunctional that they must be destroyed?  It must be possible, though it is not my call as to when that takes place.  Seeming devils can become saints.  God knows. 

Here is another one to contemplate.  There was open sexual immorality going on in the church at Corinth.  One of the church members was engaged in behavior that even the pagans would not condone, according to Paul who offered this remedy to the congregation:


For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing.  When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord. (1 Corinthians 5:3-5)   
 
I suppose this was a form of excommunication, though it sounds, on the surface, as if the assembled saints were being called on to pronounce a curse on the wayward one.  The devil take you, we might say – which should remind us to be careful of our words.  Paul expected that allowing Satan to have access to the sinner would lead to his ultimate salvation.  Far better to see the flesh destroyed than to allow a brother to fall away into spiritual death. 

We like to think there is always hope.  Even the Bible suggests that a live dog is better than a dead lion (Ecclesiastes 9:4).  There are times when a disease requires extreme measures.  Damage can be so extensive that the only way to save a life is amputation.  The way to spiritual life is always through death; sometimes it may mean physical death.  Sometimes only suffering and destruction can get us back on the right road. 

I don’t see how a person can have much hope in a society that embraces and exalts wickedness, that glorifies stupidity and wallows in unrighteousness.  But, as I said yesterday, it is not anything new.  If it seems strange to us, it is only because we were once, for a brief moment in history, a better people, or thought we were.  No, I don’t think the revisionists are right – I think we did rise above the churning mediocrity of human ignorance and apathy and selfishness.  It may appear only as a spike above the regression line of history, but it happened.  Our fall is the more evident for it.

Freedom.  Do we even know what it means?  

Oh, and that man in Corinth that the congregation cursed, ever wonder how that turned out?

Now if anyone has caused pain, he has caused it not to me, but in some measure—not to put it too severely—to all of you.  For such a one, this punishment by the majority is enough, so you should rather turn to forgive and comfort him, or he may be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow.  So I beg you to reaffirm your love for him.

There is always hope.

4 comments:

Rick said...

"I think we did rise above the churning mediocrity of human ignorance and apathy and selfishness."

I've been at a loss for some time to think of a thing we make today like the effort and selfless devotion put into the designing and building of those beautifully useless things we call cathedrals.

I wonder when touring them became instead a "thing to do"?

mushroom said...

Wow. That's a good question. It reminds me of Chesterton.

Rick said...

Well, I've been watching the Father Barron Catholicism video series and you know, he visits all these beautiful cathedrals and churches and such all over the world. And of course, while they are filming naturally there are often tourists there, standing in these sacred places in awe with their mouths open. As I would be. And I saw one person holding up this little tiny digital camera taking a photo. And there is just no way to capture the whole thing. You can just picture what the picture will look like all cropped and you know the person is disappointed looking through the view finder. It looked odd. The act I mean. I'm not saying I wouldn't have done the same thing. But isn't it odd, to want to "capture" "it" when there you are in the place and its for you and treating it as some visitor from a different planet. Like, oh I wish I could bring the sabbath home with me, darn it. What? It's made for you right now!
:-)
Contemporary Man is a strange religion.

mushroom said...

Yep, we are stunned sometimes when we can't capture everything with our technology. I'm sure the intentions were good, but I've done that very thing -- this just doesn't look like being there. Something is missing.