Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Why Can't I Ever Get a Crown of Thorns That Fits?



We have crosses to bear everyday.  But I have learned to enjoy the bitterest of them.  And it is sweet to know that heaviest cross can be borne in peace.  However, there may be times when it seems you do not have the strength even to bear it or to drag it.  All you can do is fall down beneath it, overwhelmed and exhausted.  Fénelon

And he said to all, If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. -- Luke 9:23


Somewhere in the one of the chapters of The Screwtape Letters, Lewis talks about how we tend to get the wrong impression of bearing our cross daily.  I suppose I would say that it comes down to daily life.  The grind might be a better name for it in our times than the cross.  It really isn’t the big issues but the accumulation of very small ones.  I can buck up against the great stone wheels of the mill if it weren’t for the grist that is in here with me.  I can get angry because my wife moves something a foot out of place on my desk, because the hook on my boot hangs on the inside seam of my jeans, because I grabbed the wrench that was one size too big instead of the one I wanted, because … well, a hundred different annoyances.  Crucify me and I might laugh in your face -- until I realize I can’t wipe the sweat running into my eyes. 

Man is a strange creature, but we are on guard against the big stuff, it’s the little foxes, nay, even the field mice or the ants that spoil the vine.  Peppered with the petty, I lose my composure.  Maybe that’s the point.  Maybe it’s not “composure” that I need.  After all, isn’t that rather like a pose, a case of me “putting myself together”?  Do I have composure or do I have peace?

It could be to effectively endure the grind of the cross, I have to let that fragile outside shell be shattered, lose my k-k-kool once and for all, and deny the false image I call self.  Smash the mirror, find a window that opens on heaven.

12 comments:

julie said...

Ha - I love the title.

mushroom said...

Some days nothing fits right.
:)

Anonymous said...

This is very good. I find myself struggling with these types of issues all of the time.

It is easy to let the little things get us, when we affirm that we'll stand in the face of bigger things. This is borne out in marriage, too.

I might die for my wife without hesitation, but will I (insert annoying household chore here) for her?

Good post.

mushroom said...

Yep, I know exactly what you mean.

Rick said...

I blame computers.

And what Julie said -- great title!

mushroom said...

Computers are a source of grit. This morning it was the programmable thermostat. I had to pop off the face to let it reset.

Is it sad to long for a mercury switch?

Anonymous said...

Nope, not sad at all.

Mercury switches are good. We're renting a home with mercury switches, after years of programmable-thermostat challenges.

I turn knob, heat comes or goes.

:-)

Rick said...

"programmable thermostat"

This is at the top of my "can't stand!" list. My brain can't do multi-function buttons. Are buttons so expensive we can't add just one more, please? Not to mention, the buttons on my programmable thermostats are out to get me. Press them once: nuthin. Press again, and they advance three positions. And all the while I'm wondering if it was use the same BTUs if I just kept this pile of rocks at one temperature always. I know I'm not saving any hair.

By "blame computers" I mean, they spoil us (when they work). A world of tools at your finger tips and instant satisfaction. Unlike everything else in the physical world including especially my workbench, toolbox and anything attached to my fixer-upper.

Fantastic Voyage.

julie said...

Yes, I miss mercury switches, too.

The "programmable" thermostat has been the bane of my existence since we moved. Is it really that necessary to have four or five programming blocks set aside for each day? Especially when the thermostat pretty much just does what it wants anyway? It wouldn't be so bad if it would set itself for something between "sweltering" and "frostbite."

Yet another example of "modern conveniences" that are anything but, and seem designed specifically to slowly drive people insane. Along with low flow toilets and "energy efficient" appliances.

mushroom said...

Yes, but people do crazy things with computers which has resulted in many sleepless nights. They do spoil us for speed and the almost limitless possibilities. I think, though, we've always been bothered by little things. I have a special loathing of horseflies -- which apparently think I taste just like a horse.

Speaking of low-flow toilets, don't you wish you could stick the inventor's head in one? They are perfect for getting rid of -- oh, I don't know, hamster dropping. Not so much for anything else.

julie said...

Yep. I didn't appreciate how good I had it in AZ, where our house came equipped with the original toilets from the 80s. Never had a problem. But here, I've practically become on expert on good plunging techniques. God help us if/ when the kids get it in their heads to start throwing interesting things in there to see if they'll flush...

mushroom said...

That reminds me of the old Bill Cosby story where he tried to flush his father's wool overcoat.

"Have you ever been whipped with a wet woolen overcoat?"