Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, February 25, 2013

Disengagement

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you ... --  Matthew 28:19-20

And he said to them, Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. -- Mark 16:15

Justin at Arctic Pilgrim expresses a legitimate concern about Christians and culture. I don't have any disagreement with the views expressed by him or those who commented.  But it does raise the question in my mind about how we are to engage the culture. 

For example, the notable Catholic priest, Father Robert Barron, often does commentaries on current movies.  We might think that reviewing The Hobbit or Les Miserables makes sense, but he also reviews Skyfall.  I'm not sure I've ever seen an entire Bond movie.  You also have sites like Stephen Graydanus' Decent Film Guide which is beneficial in rating movies and deciding if redemptive value is present. The reviewers provide a service to individuals and families choosing what to view or not view. 

Some things are just too disturbing to watch or hear or read -- I mean, apart from speeches by NMP Obama, Michelle Obama's outfits, and Hillary Clinton's Congressional testimony.  I find most so-called Country music brain-damagingly stupid.  Whatever they call that "urban" crap now is brain-dead.  Television and movies are mostly Death Valley with the occasional oasis. 

If, however, I were attempting to fulfill the Great Commission, I would probably need to think about how I might best connect with the people around me -- the people who are listening to Jay-Z, watching Twilight and CSI: Aberdeen.  While the hermitage is more appealing to me all the time, not everyone is called to disengage from society and the dominant culture.  Jesus was talking about how to live as we go -- as we go into all the world, as we go about our business, as we interact with the people God brings into our lives. 

The fact is that if you are going to successfully make disciples of the people around you, you are going to have to go beyond the Roman Road and the ABCs of salvation.  Discipleship requires much more than motivating someone to cry and pray a 30-second prayer.  You build a rapport and a relationship.  You make disciples of friends -- generally speaking.  You take the heavy end of a guy's freezer going backward down some rickety basement stairs.  When you invite him over to watch the game, he's going to feel more comfortable ragging you about why you changed the channel when the Hardee's commercial came on. 

Most of us aren't willing to invest that kind of time and effort into other people.  We aren't willing to engage on the level where those around us live.  That is the difference between us and Jesus.  That is, then, the reason the church remains insulated and ineffective in putting boundaries on the excesses of the culture, as well as failing to make effective disciples even while busily counting converts.   

We are looking at lost generations.  They have rejected -- or never heard -- any kind of meaningful, authentic mythology on which to pattern and shape their lives.  They live as indoctrinated, unthinking, pragmatic nihilists -- unless and until their thought processes can be engaged to give them a revelation of the absurdity of their chosen existence. 

One by one.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a thought-provoking issue.

As a father, my first "ministry" is my children, and their upbringing in the faith.

That aside (as if it could be), I find very few people who are going to a Bond or (whatever) movie to actively evangelize. I bet you'd be hard pressed to find one, too.

"Making disciples of all nations" is likely another subject altogether. Evangelizing is only the first step in this process.

I'm all for engaging the people who are interested in modern entertainment. All for it. OTOH, I don't believe it necessarily has to involve me swimming in filth willingly- although it might, at some point.

I am all for discipleship and engaging people. In my experience, -and this is in my experience alone- engaging people effectively very rarely involves watching Hollywood's garbage (although this is just one area, and I bring it up because of my piece you linked). Refusing to jump into that garbage is a far cry from the hermitage.

The Puritans were often called "Worldly Saints" (there's a boot with that for a title). They were all for engaging culture and people and all against monasticism- but there is a difference between engaging ungodly culture and giving one's consent to it.

I have had many, many opportunities to share my faith precisely because of my refusal to participate in what this society loves and values as "entertainment".

I know this stance puts me at odds with much of modern Christendom, and not just on the internet.

Believe me, I know.

Anonymous said...

Oops. I meant, in the "Worldly Saints" paragraph, to say there's a book with that title.

;-)

mushroom said...

Absolutely, I'm glad you responded because the point you are making is really important.

I don't think you can "win" anybody by going to the bar and buying their drinks for them. The same way with so much of the pop culture. You see the country singers who want to talk about Jesus or sing about Jesus part of the time while dressing and living and glorifying a completely fleshly lifestyle. That's offensive, and it certainly conveys the wrong message to their fans.

A lot of preachers are like that, so are a lot of Christian singers and musicians. It's pervasive.

There are differences. Some things are clearly of more value than others. We may also be individually more susceptible to some things than others.

Anonymous said...

We may also be individually more susceptible to some things than others.

Very true.

Stonewall Jackson once was asked why he didn't drink. He responded, basically, that he didn't even touch the stuff at all because he feared that he would like it too much!

You did bring up a good point in this post, though. It is likely just as dangerous (albeit for different reasons) to over-withdraw as it is to participate too freely, if you know what I mean. Finding balance is hard sometimes.

Thanks for this post, though. It's thought-encouraging.