Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, October 28, 2013

Weary On Monday



The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen. -- 2 Timothy 4:18


Again, we are very busy.  This is not that unusual.  We often get pretty hectic going into fall and winter.  I’ve been working for the company so long that I get four weeks of vacation I don’t get to take instead of two or three.  It’s great.  So far, I have managed to use four days.  Which means that between now and the end of February, if they do let us carry-over, I need to burn three week and a day so I won’t lose it.  I only lost a week last year.  I don’t know what I would do with four weeks of vacation.  We never go anywhere.    

I have a short respite while I’m waiting around for gateway access so I can do something productive.  I’m trying to figure out how to go through the Book of Job in my usual pattern of taking a few verses and thinking about them.  Job doesn’t really lend itself to that.  It’s a debate, so it is necessary to summarize a given speaker’s position unless you want to quote a chapter or two at a time.

Meanwhile, I think the above verse from Paul, as an aged man, probably very near the day of his death, is in line with what we have been talking about lately.  Evil deeds do come around.  No one, no matter how pious and devoted, is immune from the attacks.  In fact, speaking of Job, sometimes our piety is the reason we are targeted.  Satan’s job, so it seems, is to try us, to put us in the fire like the three Hebrew children to see what will burn.  In their case, only the ropes that bound them were consumed in the heat.  They were set free and unharmed. 

Perhaps Paul is even thinking of that story as he realizes that the worst his enemies, fleshly or otherwise, can do to him is release him from this prison of clay with its “bars of bone”.  I have seen a little of God’s grace in deliverance the past couple of days.   I struggle with so much and forget so often to turn to Him and let Him get me through.  I’m trying to be more deliberate in surrendering my fears and my frustrations to Him.  I hope that I am seeing some progress. 

Also, I picked up a couple of books yesterday from the bargain shelf.  One is a volume containing four of Lewis’ works:  Surprised by Joy, Reflection of the Psalms, The Four Loves, and The Business of Heaven.  I had a copy of Surprised by Joy at one time and must have given it away or left it somewhere.  I don’t remember reading The Business of Heaven so I’m looking forward to plowing through all these again.   

The other book is Walter Wangerin’s Saint Julian which is about ten years old.  It’s not one of Wangerin’s more highly rated works, to say the least.  A lot of reviewers didn’t like it or didn’t get it.  It does appear to be a work of great significance to the author, and it may suffer from the closeness.  Julian is a hunter.  We’ll see how it goes.

No comments: