Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

More Ovaltine

Yes, I'm still stuck on Amos 3:7, and, despite enjoying what little actual government shutdown is going on, I am still having a kind of bumpy week.


For the Lord GOD does nothing without revealing his secret to his servants the prophets.

I need to know what God is doing, what He wants done.  I don’t think He is too concerned about a shutdown of the federal government.  I knew a man who used to pray for the national debt.  It doesn’t seem like he did much good.  Maybe he gave up.  Perhaps it would have been more productive to pray that people would turn from idolatry and live holy lives by faith in Christ.  Holy people are not going to be supportive of the kinds of policies that lead to massive government debt.  Western nations are being systematically destroyed because they have deified democracy and made government into a false god.  It does not matter how successful this effort appears in the short term, the long term is very, very patient. 

If I want the Lord to do something in my life, to give me a reason for my existence and a destiny toward which I may chart my course, He has to reveal that to me.  I can make up something and visualize it.  I may even be able to bring it to pass.  The combination of human reason, imagination, and will is a powerful force that can achieve much.  It may even reach an end that would be judged objectively good.  Apart from God, though, even the most glorious of temporal victories will pass away like a vapor. 

I am not a prophet in the sense that Amos or Ezekiel was.  Most likely no one reading this is either.  Nevertheless, we can know what is real, what is true, and what is God’s will.  The first step toward a higher insight is to stop letting the world dictate to us and fit us into its mold.  That’s what Romans 12:1-2 states, pretty plainly:  I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.  Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.  Instead of offering ourselves for the world to use, we can offer ourselves to the Lord, who will give us understanding and godly wisdom.  Try it out, Paul says.  I need to test my choices, my thoughts, my imaginations by prayer and by God’s word.  I can know if I am out of sync.

A lot of people claim to know what the future holds.  The vast majority are speaking out of the fog of fleshly thinking.  They will be, ultimately, wrong.  My job is much less prognostication than humble seeking and vigilant obedience.  The ends will take care of themselves.       

No comments: