Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, August 5, 2013

Praying Always



Do not drag me off with the wicked, with the workers of evil, who speak peace with their neighbors while evil is in their hearts.  Give to them according to their work and according to the evil of their deeds; give to them according to the work of their hands; render them their due reward. – Psalm 28:3-4


What we do is heard by God as much or more than what we say.  As you may recall, Tomberg talks about the various forms of prayer, one of which is true work, which he defines as work done with one hundred percent effort.  Work may be intellectual in pursuit of truth, reflecting the phrase of the Lord’s Prayer which says, Hallowed by thy name, or creative, reflecting, Thy kingdom come, or yet our effort to provide for the supply of material needs as in, Give us this day our daily bread.  God bestows a benediction in keeping with the nature of this form of prayer.

Just so when the wicked pray by means of their wicked works, God pays them in their coin of choice.  God does not pay every Friday because He is loving and merciful and long-suffering, but when He does pay, it is in full.  For the wrongdoer will be paid back for the wrong he has done, and there is no partiality, as Paul says.

While we’re in Colossians 3, we might as well think about why full effort makes all our work spiritual.  It is because we are acknowledging the One for whom we are really working.  Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.  Our full effort presses us beyond our physical, mental and emotional limitations.  Like suffering, our exertion forces us to rely upon the spiritual component of our being and draws Christ more intimately into our lives.  Work, when done with the right perspective, is communion and identification with the Lord.  We can obey the admonition to pray without ceasing as we give ourselves wholly to God in whatever it is that we do.    

14 comments:

Rick said...

Man, is this good advice. Thanks, Mush.

Funny, I don't remember you ever mentioning our UF by name. Plus, I just wrote to his translator yesterday to thank him and to offer to convert MOTT to Kindle format. So far, no reply.

julie said...

Yes, this is great advice. Timely, too. Thanks, Mush.

mushroom said...

Normally I don't, just UF. I don't know why I did that time.

That would good. I'd love to have a better e-version.

Thank you, Julie. Here's a story you might relate to about the 3-and-a-half-year-old.

Saturday, while Mom and Grandma took our granddaughter shopping for college stuff -- she starts tomorrow -- I was left to take care of the grandson since his dad had to work. For lunch I got him a Happy Meal -- he has a good appetite, and he ate everything. So I was going to get him some ice cream like I used to do his big sister at McD's. No, he said, at the ice cream shop.

I didn't know where it was, but he thought it was there in town, so we drove around. All of the sudden he starts hollering, Poppy, there's the ice cream shop. At the yellow sign. Hand-dipped and pretty good. I can see why he held out.

He hugged several times before I left. Grandma was a little jealous.

John Lien said...

Like suffering, our exertion forces us to rely upon the spiritual component of our being and draws Christ more intimately into our lives. Work, when done with the right perspective, is communion and identification with the Lord.

That's good! Thanks.

Rick said...

Dr Robert Powell (translator of MOTT and Lazarus, Come Forth!) took me up on my offer!
What a nice guy..

julie said...

Wow, that's great, Rick!

Rick said...

Good news fur Raccoonz everywhere!
'nless I botch it.

Nah, shouldn't be too hard. I converted my book to Kindle. That wasn't too bad if memory serves. It's the PDF to Word that will be tedious (usually there are hard breaks at the end of every line in a PDF) those need to be fixed. All 10 million of them. But way easier than copying the Bible with a fountain pen :-)

mushroom said...

That is so cool. Great news. I have complete confidence in you.

Rick said...

Haahaa! Thanks, Mush :-)

Rick said...

I just remembered that you bought an ebook reader a while back. Which one was it?
Amazon is practically giving the Kindle HD away at $150.
I should receive my order tomorrow.

mushroom said...

I have a Sony, which prefers epubs. I am seriously considering buying a Kindle. I saw my granddaughter's Fire when she was down here a few weeks ago, and I was impressed.

John Lien said...

Great news, Rick!

Rick said...

Thanks, John!
I'll keep youz posted..

Rick said...

Mush, once I get the Kindle version of MOTT under control (I think it's actually or mostly HTML) I'll see if there's an export to ePub..