Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, May 13, 2013

Loaves and Fishes, and Beer

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. -- 2 Corinthians 5:17
Today is rather busy.  This past weekend was intense, and I have been fighting fires at work since early this morning.  Still, I wanted to take a minute to mark today.  It's an anniversary.  Thirty years ago today I had my last drunken binge.  It was different.  Normally, a quiet, sleepy beer-drinking drunk, I drank a quantity of tequila that night and blacked out instead of passing out.  It might have happened before, but that time I had a reliable witness. 

I didn't go to AA, and I didn't get miraculously delivered.  I just didn't drink anymore.  I did not know Chesterton's warning against medicinal alcohol at the time, but I only drank because it was fun anyway.  I could not imagine "needing" a drink.  The very few times in the last thirty years that I have considered buying a bottle were the occasions when I would have "needed" one, so I didn't drink. 

I can't say that I miss alcohol.  I miss beer, but it's not worth the calories.  I will once in a great while have a little root beer or sarsaparilla instead.  On rare occasions I think it would be nice to end the evening with some scotch or bourbon, but since I refuse to have any in the house, the urge passes unfulfilled.  Besides, I've kind of gotten used to being mostly in my right mind — not that a drink or two really messes up anyone's thinking.  My trouble was that I always enjoyed the feeling of one or two so much that I was apt to go for three or four. 



BundabergRootbeer





Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

Rick said...

Ah, haven't had a frosty mug of root beer since I was a kid. I will track one down and have it in your honor.

Happy Anniversary, Mush.

mushroom said...

Thank you, Rick.

John Lien said...

Good on ya Mush.

If one can't be temperate it's best to avoid whatever it is altogether.

That Bundaberg is good stuff. We like the ginger beer. In moderation, of course.

mushroom said...

Two of the grandkids were down for Mother's Day. Apparently root beer or ginger beer can make you high -- though probably not arrest-worthy.