Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Angels and Heirs



See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven. -- Matthew 18:10
Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation? -- Hebrews 1:14


On OC last Friday, I expressed some reservations about guardian angels.  My issue is not with regard to the existence of angels for which there is more than sufficient Scriptural evidence.  I am less uneasy talking about angels than I would be talking to an angel.  It seems to me that getting too involved in the business of angels might be somewhat like the attitude Gildor the Elf had of wizards:  Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. 

We are also warned:  Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind (Colossians 2:18).  This is probably the source of most of my reluctance to attempt to communicate with or call upon angelic beings.  Then, too, one must beware of the potential for deception by the agents of the enemy:  And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14).  Yet, this is also a strong argument for seeking angelic assistance.  In yesterday’s post, I talked about two kinds of wisdom, worldly as opposed to spiritual. 

People may be led astray by the practicality and functionality of earthly wisdom.  We may also be deceived by “insights” with come from demonic sources.  One may be -- in as sense -- inspired by bad angels just as by good.  Since Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit Himself, we might conclude that only those outside of the Body of Christ would be susceptible to demonic enthusiasms.  I think that is generally the case, though a Christian who is lax and lukewarm might be more vulnerable to such an attack and more likely to accept demonic insights as genuine.  We are aware, also, that simply recognizing something agrees with Scripture is hardly proof that it is not a satanic suggestion – see the temptation of Christ.  Give the Devil his due.  He knows the Bible. 

And, speaking of Christ’s trial in the desert, we are reminded that after Jesus had faced the Tempter, angels came to minister to Him (Matthew 4:11).  The same thing occurred in Gethsemane (Luke 22:43).  Jesus could have called upon angelic help to escape from those sent to arrest Him:  Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? (Matthew 26:53).  He refused to do so because it was necessary that “the Scriptures be fulfilled” (v. 54).

Being no expert in this area, I can only follow along with what the Bible says and with the advice of wiser and more sanctified heads than my own.  Angels will strengthen us when our strength and ability to resist is weakened.  When physical trials overwhelm us, we may call upon their aid in extremity.  When we are confused by the attacks of the enemy, we may call upon angels to defend us and speak truth to us. 

A very practical application might be if we find ourselves involved in conflict, our own anger and defensiveness tends to blind us to reason and spiral us deeper into hurt and anger.  I have no doubt that demons can feed off pain and rage.  We can ask that our angel or angels step in to fend off the enemy and help us get back in control.  Too, if we see someone else in a similar situation, we can ask that angels be allowed to defend them against demonic instigations.      

Angels are our fellow servants.  The fallen ones, like fallen men, seek their own glory and exaltation.  The holy and good angels live only to serve God, to glorify, honor, worship, and exalt Him.  They do not desire our worship, but they will joyously come alongside in our hour of need because we have been adopted as heirs of salvation.

Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

John Lien said...

Interesting topic. I have no personal experience with angels that I'm aware of but I do believe in them as I believe in other spiritual entities and phenomena described in the Bible. My Protestant background was pretty much Angel and Saint free and I think because of that I may have been missing out on the totality of the Christian experience.

These days I'm open to asking Saints and Angels and Mary for help or to pray for me. Just like I would ask a corporeal friend to pray for me (I think Julie got me thinking along those lines).

mushroom said...

I'm the same way, and Julie has doubtless been a positive influence on me as well.

However, after I wrote this, I got to thinking back on various incidents. I know adrenaline is powerful stuff, and I know stress and emotions can cause our minds to play havoc with our memories. Still, I would guess most of us have had some exposure to things that are difficult to explain as purely physical.

Rick said...

My biggest hurdle with them is overcoming my mental image of them as depicted in classical painting and Valentines cards. I don't even like the sound of the word angel. Silly, I know. But it is a saturated word/image if there ever was one.

Anyway, I don't pray to this or that one directly. Maybe I should. I pray to Christ directly. Yet, it may have been an angel that one time who was with me on "that day". If it was, I don't deserve him.

mushroom said...

I think that's a problem for a lot of us -- Michael in a stained glass window is hard to accept.

No, I don't deserve angelic assistance, but it seems to be their joy to come along and lend a hand.

Not pray to -- maybe pray with and for sure pray that they would be allowed to help out, but Christ is in charge.

Rick said...

You're probably right about the joy. If it was an angel "that day" I swear he was happy. If a faceless face could say "no sweat, bro", then that's what he said.

To pray with...that's sounds right.
Good advice as always, Mush.