Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ridin' With Roy

On Saturdays when I was a boy,
I lived to ride the range with Roy.
Rollin' rivers, golden hills,
Stick horse races and cap gun kills.

Shoot the bad guys, rope and ride,
I'd play on even if I died.
I knew just how to wear my hat
When I was stalkin' the neighbor's cat.

I went off to school, went off to college
Filled my head with useless knowledge.
I already knew everything worth knowin'.
I learned from Roy about cowboyin'.

To ride, shoot straight and speak the truth,
Are the things Roy taught me in my youth.
Never fear, always be bold,
Stay young forever, never grow old.

There are no wranglers here in the city,
No golden palominos, more's the pity.
Lots of bad guys runnin' around
Dressed in suits and workin' downtown.

I ain't herded no cattle for many a' year.
I been writin' code from this office chair.
Trigger, Roy, and even Dale are gone.
All us cowboys are left on our own.

But I know Roy's ridin' high,
up there on Trigger beyond the sky.
For me there's a little more work to be done
Before I ride off in the settin' sun.

Late some evenin' when the fire is low
I'll hear the Boss call, "It's time to go."
I'll mount a white horse that's waitin' for me,
We'll cross the Divide and there we'll see
Crystal river and golden hills,
Plenty of adventure and endless thrills.
I'll look into the Boss's eye,
and ride with Roy when I die.

4 comments:

Joan of Argghh! said...

I loved this!

What was the name of Dale's horse, btw?

mushroom said...

I don't have much time for study this week. Lots of things are going on. I guess I'm feeling a little sentimental, and nothing helps you work that out like some goofy doggerel.

Roy Rogers really was a big influence on me. The first book I read was a Little Golden Book in which Roy confronted a "ferocious mountain lion". I actually couldn't read it -- I memorized it.

robinstarfish said...

I'll saddle up and ride with ya anytime, pardner. I still have my old stick horse.

I miss all my old B&W tv friends. They were real. We all knew that.

WV says we shouldn't forget gumprie.

Rick said...

Sounds good to me. Count me in too.