Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Friday, April 2, 2010

Alone

I never played much in the way of team sports or what most people think of as sports or games – like tennis or golf. I very briefly tried playing basketball in eighth grade, and I boxed and wrestled a little in high school. Mainly I did my schoolwork, did our farm work, did some target shooting, hunted, fished, and rode horses, a bicycle, or a dirt bike. None of this involved much cheerleading. Personally, I never understood the need for cheerleaders. Either you are giving your best effort or you are not. No amount of “support” from the sidelines is going to change what a person is capable of doing.

This kind of thinking probably indicates some sort of character flaw on my part.

Then they all deserted Him and ran away – Mark 14:50

It’s a verse worthy of committing to memory, though it is probably rarely quoted. All the cheerleaders were gone. His teaching, His wisdom, His love and compassion, even the miracles they had witnessed could not hold them. They all deserted Jesus. They left Him to face His doom.

But He was not yet alone. Through the rest of those dark morning hours, the Lord continued to do what He knew He had to do. He had been born for this ugly, painful, humiliating day. He had known all along this was where He was headed. He had, in His humanity, no doubt wondered if there might be some other way of fulfilling the prophecies, perhaps a more figurative, allegorical understanding. Even at the last in the garden, He had beseeched the Father for another path to follow, but when Judas arrived with the soldiers, He knew that was not to be. Still, He knew He was doing His Father’s will in the kangaroo court of the Sanhedrin, before the petty, cynical Roman governor, in the decadent presence of Herod, under the lash at the whipping post, and, stumbling under the weight of the cross, all the way up the hill.

The blood didn’t shake Him. The pain didn’t move Him. He was doing His Father’s will. It had to be done, and He had to do it.

And at the ninth hour, Jesus cried out in a loud voice … “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” – Mark 15:34

Then He was alone.

5 comments:

Rick said...

He had to. For so many reasons. All of them.

And as Gil Bailie says, so as to be the last "victim without a voice". This requires "alone".

And no one could cognize what happened before their eyes until then. The world is still changing as a result. It is impossible to live "outside" the Gospel. It is too late for that. Even us.

Thanks, Mushroom.

robinstarfish said...

And though He may have known the end of the story, there's no way he could have known. The paradox of sacrifice and why it was so earth-shattering.

JWM said...

I always seem to take in your posts two at a time. These last two are exceptional even by the standard I've come to expect here. Much great stuff to contemplate here. Your posts are like a black light that brings out all the hidden color in the scriptures.

JWM

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Personally, I never understood the need for cheerleaders. Either you are giving your best effort or you are not. No amount of “support” from the sidelines is going to change what a person is capable of doing.

This kind of thinking probably indicates some sort of character flaw on my part."

I get what you mean, Mushroom, and Happy (late) Easter!

I played in the pep band at football and basketball games in highschool (not bein' very good at football and passable but never above a mediocre to average at basketball player), and there was certainly no need for a pep band, however, I did admire the beauty of the unnecessary cheerleaders, who were easier on my eyes than the jocks.

So I reckon in a sense, the cheerleaders did have a greater purpose than the pep band afterall and they did get more folks (boys, actually) to come to the games.

IOW's the cheerleaders were a draw and they were popular. But necessary? Well, just ask the Cleveland Browns fans.
Shoot, ask the Cleveland Browns themselves.
'Cause ever since Bernie Kosar retired what have the Browns done?

Okay, Yes, one can say the same about the Detroit Lions after Barry Sanders retired, but at least they have cheerleaders so...

Egads! I better stop before the Lord (justifiably) smites me!
Personally, I blame Skully for this and his corrupting influence.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Um...Amen! To my insightfull Raccoon brothers and to Mushroom for keepin' it Real.

Do you think I got a chance at purgatory? Maybe? Hey, I know some folks say it don't exist, or maybe it's part of Heaven, I dunno, but if it does exist it's gotta be better than hell, right?

And yeah, I hope for Heaven but let's be realistic here, it seems purgatory was made for guys like me who need some serious remedial trainin'.

Arrgghh! Please forgive me Mushroom.
My sense of humor tends to jump overboard at times. :^)
It's late...