Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Holy Wholly

There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope at your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in all. Now grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of the Messiah's gift. – Ephesians 4:4-7



Victor Frankenstein took pieces of various bodies and put them together in one larger, more powerful, transhuman form then animated it through some chemical process to create his monster. The Body of Christ appears to have been chopped up, though each piece still lives and thinks that it is the whole body as it wonders why its functions are often frustrated. As I first thought of this, I felt pretty pessimistic. It sounds as monstrous and macabre in its own way as Frankenstein’s creature. God is certainly calling us to unity under one Lord and one King without which we are a mockery of the Kingdom. Yet He said where two or three are gathered in My Name, there am I. Each piece really is a whole. Each one of us is part of the Body of Christ, but we are also the Church locally.

It would be ideal, of course, if there were only one “brand” of Christianity, if there was just the Church at Dallas or the Church at Peoria as there was the Church at Ephesus to which Paul wrote. The word “church” arrived in the English language by way of Germanic from a Greek word that meant, originally, “of the Lord”, or “belonging to the Lord”. It’s too bad we couldn’t keep it clean and free of the taint of buildings, hierarchies and organizations. We are supposed to be the called-out, consecrated property of God. Instead we have become a plague of competing corporations with politics, schemes, and programs. We market our “product”. We advertise.

The corporate marketing model may work out all right for the men and women who are effective in their efforts and are the leadership – I can’t quite call them the shepherds – in those churches. Even that isn’t always the case as the leaders’ lives are often wrecked in the process. Individual members of the congregations of these monster churches may find rewarding ministry opportunities, just as individual students may occasionally get a decent education in government schools. But in both cases they are doing it more or less on their own. The marketing model is great for building facilities and/or monuments, for holding big events, concerts, and outreaches. It will fill auditoriums, but does it fill hearts? Sometimes, no doubt, though mostly it is a superficial religion of works and self-sufficiency.

On the other hand, I am just about as put off by small churches and intense “fellowship” with believers in cell groups or men’s prayer breakfast groups. See, I got this crazy idea that when Jesus said, “Go, and make disciples of all nations …”, He meant something like wherever we wind up going, we are to interact with the people around us, living as disciples and witnesses while doing whatever it is we do. I don’t think I need an evangelism program or a college degree to teach me how to do that. I think that’s what the Holy Spirit – that One Spirit mentioned in the verse above – does in believers. I’m the clay pot to carry the Water of Life around. He flows out of me to those I meet. I really don’t have much to do with it.

It’s not that I don’t need to know how to live myself, but that’s also part of what the Spirit does – teach me and guide me. It’s good to have a Communion, to gather with others in Christ and get the occasional fresh rush, but that’s not to be our primary focus. The inflow is a given if we have the outflow.

We were not all given the same calling, but we were given the same hope when God called us. And we should have no doubt that God has called us. That’s the only way we can get here. We enter the world, and He calls us. Perhaps He even calls us into the world in the first place. We have heard something that stirs us and draws us. We respond to a hope of wholeness, a hope that our lives are more than meat and drink -- that our relationship with the Lord will make us whole, but also that we will find our place in His wholeness. We have a hope that, as we are redeemed, we are catalysts or elements in the redemption of Creation. We become part of the transforming of the fallen into something even greater and more glorious that it could have been had it never lost its first state.

Man’s best efforts at unity are burdened with stumbling and laden with danger. I don’t put much faith in ecumenical councils or moves to bring us all back to Rome or to reunite East and West in some great single, worldwide Church. I do, however, trust the Holy Spirit to bring us all together in a way that turns barriers into connections. In that unity our diversity of gifts and understanding will no longer separate us but we will regard them as the hand and the eye regard one another.

Our Father is above us all, but He is also through all of us to all of us and in all of us. The unity of the Body may not be obvious but it is surely evident. As we are filled with and led by the Spirit, we are doing each the small part that moves the great whole.

3 comments:

mushroom said...

I took a couple of days vacation to work on my garden and stuff. Then I spent the last couple of days making up for all the stuff I didn't get done while I was on vacation. I'm not complaining, though. I'm just feeling my age.

Building new raised beds, running the tiller, and doing various other yard-y/garden-y jobs didn't leave me very rested. My wife did do all of the planting, though. The potatoes are starting to poke through. I still have corn to put in -- but that won't happen for a few days because it's going to rain tomorrow and the grandkids are coming Saturday.

We do need the rain. These old clay and flint ridges dry out pretty fast.

Mizz E said...

"On the other hand, I am just about as put off by small churches and intense “fellowship” with believers in cell groups or men’s prayer breakfast groups. See, I got this crazy idea that when Jesus said, “Go, and make disciples of all nations …”, He meant something like wherever we wind up going, we are to interact with the people around us, living as disciples and witnesses while doing whatever it is we do."


Excellent observation. The early Church did not have a missionary arm; it was a missionary movement.

I have very recently become the object of much gossip & condemnation within a local ladies bible group here in Mayberry acres. One mom is very unhappy that I did not choose her daughter's artwork to exhibit in the local, city wide student art show this April. She's now 'threatened' to not send her precious twins to our Christian school next year. Heartfelt understanding and explanations of policy and space limitations by myself and the Head of School have not softened her heart. Hopefully she will take advantage of the Rector's invitation and meet with us next week. He's appealing to her Christian 'duty' to be reconciled. We will see.

Hear how the God of nature himself speaks of this matter:
"Behold, I have set before thee life and death, fire and water,--choose whither thou wilt." Here lies the whole of the divine mercy; 'tis all on this side the Day of Judgment: till the end of time, God is compassionate and long-suffering, and continues to every creature a power of choosing life or death, water or fire; but when the end of time is come, there is an end of choice, and the last judgment is only a putting everyone into the full and sole possession of that which he has chosen.


... William Law (1686-1761)

Lord, make me a missionary wherever You place me.

mushroom said...

I think I've met that mother. One pastor I knew started a daycare in his church basement for the benefit of his congregation. After a year or so he realized that it was not really much of a benefit and was causing a lot of trouble. He decided to close it down -- gradually in order to make sure everyone could find appropriate care for their little ones. This meant that the two or three daycare workers he had were going to lose their jobs. Despite the more than generous notice, one of the ladies working in the daycare became upset and charged into his office, cussing him out thoroughly.

Her husband was a minister.