Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Rag Man

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. -- Romans 8:37

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't feel like a conqueror most days.  More likely, I might feel like a survivor, someone who is barely hanging on, perhaps even just an "exist-er".  Some of it is coming from my age.  I went to a seminar on retirement the other night and sat with a roomful of people whose usefulness to the system is drawing to an end.  I wondered how many of us sitting there would die within days of no longer having a reason to get up in the morning and how many will deteriorate and decay without the push of something to keep them us, going.  It doesn't sound like a victorious life.

When I was younger, I always thought that achievement would be more -- I don't know, rewarding? -- satisfying? --  than it actually turned out to feel.  It makes me wonder if I didn't squander my opportunities and fail to achieve enough.  But then I look around and ask what more I could have done.  I might wish for a little more empty space around me but not a lot.  I've got all I'll be able to take care of, especially as the years continue to roll.  I might have done a few minor things differently, but they are minor.  It is as if I stumbled into a gravel pit and got up with gold in my pockets.  I'm happy enough in a basic, physical sense most of the time.

Maybe it's that I'm not the man I expected to be.  Despite bodily health, despite a family and, especially, grandchildren who seem to enjoy being around me, I ought to be a better person.  Am I really fit for heaven?  Am I living and thinking and acting in a way that is pleasing to God?  Is it too late to become a better man?  Is there any point to doing better now?

I think there is a reason to keep trying to live victoriously.  I think there is something more important than achievement and recognition, status and success.  

Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.  And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.  (1 John 3:2-3)

Someone said, "The only weapon to fight sin with is the spear which pierced the side of Jesus."  That is, we were crucified with Christ, buried with Him, and rose with Him.  The old life of sin is a ratty, threadbare, filthy cloak we try to hide behind when we ought to put on Christ.  The nagging sense of something missing is just my clinging to that rag, the remains of my security blanket.  It's worn out and useless and deep down I know it, but I remember when it was new and pretty impressive.  It was who I was.  Man, it was really something, but, I just don't need it.  I don't even want it.  What do I do with it? 

I think that I take it to Jesus, and I say, "Lord, You see this worn-out rag?  You know how proud I used to be of it.  You know I wore it as a great plaid.  It's hardly a loin-cloth anymore, but I can't see You until I'm rid of it altogether, and You can see me, as naked as You were on the Cross, with nothing to show and nothing to say, nothing to boast of and nothing left to give.  Help me get rid of it.  Give me the grace and the courage to cast it away and never drag it back around again." 

We have a term that we picked up from Hebrews 12:1 in the King James.  We refer to "besetting sins" -- the ESV says "sin which clings so closely".  Really it's the sin to which I cling.  It's that last layer separating me from Christ that continues to hinder my running.  Besetting sin always gave me the wrong impression.  I thought of it as something that jumped on me or hounded me, nipping at my heels like a yappy little feist dog.  It's not.  It's ragged, nasty drawers that I just can't bring myself to get rid of.  It's clinging to the rags that cling to me that keeps me feeling beaten.              

To see Him as He is, and so to be like Him, I have to know that He sees me as I am, not the rag man.

8 comments:

Rick said...

My brother-in-cammp wrote this:

"I don't know about anyone else, but I don't feel like a conqueror most days. More likely, I might feel like a survivor, someone who is barely hanging on, perhaps even just an "exist-er"."

And he was blessed according to the Poor in Spirit clause.

mushroom said...

That sounds like a good idea, to activate the Poor in Spirit clause. Brothers behind the mask. Thanks.

John Lien said...

Thanks Rick and Mush. Poor in spirit is making more sense.

Rick said...

The expression "poor in spirit" may never be exhausted of meaning. We may only be capable of knowing a certain level of depth and that is it but for the wondering. It is a blessing in itself that Jesus left us with such thought-provoking words (which, in a sense, He hasn't really "left us" in this manner).

My father-in-law passed away this Jan. And his wife misses him so much. Weeps daily - sometimes in private, sometime she can't help it when with us and she apologizes for it. All around her see this and suffer a little with her. We try to comfort her but there is also something else at work. In her loss it is difficult to not notice the great love that was there (that remains). We could see it before when they were together but not like this. There is something beautiful in seeing it. Being a witness to it. Perhaps this is the gift of tears. To know there is great love here between these two people. What a great love this was! And we see it in her pain and SHE was blessed to know such love. And WE are blessed to be able to see this invisible thing and know it is real. That love is real. That it may be real. We can't bring him back, but there is much that can be done: we can KNOW.

mushroom said...

You're right, to witness something with such depth and sweetness in our day of disposable, interchangeable relationships is rare.

What they had was all the sweeter for the greatest of the sorrow that recognizes it.

Paint it black all around that we may see how bright and pure the light that shone.

julie said...

Yes, I like the "Poor in Spirit" clause, too.

And thanks, Rick. It is a blessing to know people can love so much. Seems like a rare and precious gift, especially these days.

Rick said...

Rare as Raccoons...

Well said, Julie, Mush.

Bob's Blog said...

Linked here: http://bobagard.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-poor-in-spirit.html