Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, April 22, 2013

Nothing to Lose



Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. – Matthew 5:3


Things.  Thinkin’ ‘bout things.  If we are not careful, our lives will begin to revolve around things.  God gives us things both to bless us and to test us.  I like my things, but they have always been a challenge for me.  I always tried to take good care of anything I had, even when I was a little kid with my toys and books.  I always sought to keep everything in good shape.  Today I get upset when equipment gets torn up or something breaks.  I hate to see things destroyed or broken.  I don’t like dings or scratches on my vehicles.  I don’t like to hear funny noises.  I don’t like computer crashes or stuff like the wifi on my wife’s laptop ceasing to work for no good reason. 

For people like me, it is easy to get entrapped and enslaved by acquisition and maintenance, to become the host for a host of mechanical parasites.  But a spirit of poverty allows us to have, use, enjoy, and benefit from things without possessing or being possessed by them.  Things, from machines to money, exist to serve us.  They are not who we are, and we do not derive our worth from them.  A dead battery or a broken belt or even a ruptured bank account may result in anything from a minor annoyance to a radical lifestyle change.  Maybe, though, our lifestyle needs to change. 

If I am living in such a way that a thing or things can effectively destroy me or render me helpless and hopeless, I need to switch my focus from the temporal world of things to the eternal realm of the Spirit, to remember that this trek through time and matter is only a place where I learn to look to and love the Lord. 

I can be a good steward and manage well that which God gives me to oversee, but if I ain’t got nothin’, I ain’t got nothin’ to lose. 

8 comments:

John Lien said...

For people like me, it is easy to get entrapped and enslaved by acquisition and maintenance, to become the host for a host of mechanical parasites.

Oh, yeah. I have the same problem. Gotta keep reminding myself I own stuff, stuff don't own me.

I need to switch my focus from the temporal world of things to the eternal realm of the Spirit, to remember that this trek through time and matter is only a place where I learn to look to and love the Lord.

Good point.

About this "poor in spirit" term. Always sounded like a bad thing to me. Like you are lacking something spiritual.

mushroom said...

It does kind of sound that way. Luke's version just says, "Blessed are you who are poor ...".

Wuest's expansion is almost worse: Spiritually prosperous are the destitute and helpless in the realm of the spirit, because theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Paul helps us out a little: This is what I mean, brothers: the appointed time has grown very short. From now on, let those who have wives live as though they had none, and those who mourn as though they were not mourning, and those who rejoice as though they were not rejoicing, and those who buy as though they had no goods, and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For the present form of this world is passing away. (1 Corinthians 7:29-31)

And: ...as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything. (2 Corinthians 6:10)

John Lien said...

Thanks Mush. Still don't quite get it. Maybe it's that the old rules of the world will not longer apply. I'll let it soak into the gray matter a bit.

julie said...

Poor in spirit, as I understand it, is kind of what Bob is talking about over at OC today. The glass must be empty before it can be filled. You have to know nothing (or in truth, understand that you know nothing) before you can learn anything. And spiritually speaking, you must not be full of yourself if you wish to be full of O, as it were. Or one more way of saying it: how can you slake your thirst with Living water, if you have already filled yourself with mere horizontal water?

mushroom said...

Yes, that's true. Just being a jar of clay, empty and available to be filled with whatever it is that Christ wants to pour in.

Rick said...

Fr Barron does well with "poor in spirit" in his Catholicism DVD series. At least for me; I likewise have had a difficult time understanding this. I'm making some headway anyway. Barron describes the poor in spirit as those not too attached to the world. Those blessed with a simple life. Or a life they keep simple. To be child-like in your daily-going-about.

Rick said...

And then there is: ...it is better to have loved and lost...
Perhaps this is a kind of poor in spirit too. For who is more blessed than one who truly KNOWS where once drew breath their beloved.

mushroom said...

That's really where Christianity and Judaism diverges from other religions. "For God so loved the world", His creation is precious to Him, so much so that He made us lords of creation. The rest of it now awaits and groans for the revealing of the sons of God.

It's quite a paradox.