Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, October 5, 2009

Heart of Darkness

For ground that drinks the rain which often falls upon it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned. – Hebrews 6:7-8


The land we own was part of an old farm. It was more lucrative for the owners to sell it off in four pieces than to sell it all together. I certainly didn’t want the old house, or the forty that is mostly a sinkhole – though I’ll admit that where the neighbor set his house gives him a nice view. I ended up with an oddly shaped portion that is mostly level or very gently sloping out front. Behind the house, it drops off. Then I have a piece that runs up behind the acreage the original farmhouse is on. It’s only perhaps two acres or so and virtually all hillside. Come to think of it, I guess it’s kind of like a bootheel – the state of Missouri in miniature.

Anyway, my bootheel is where all the deer go to hang out. If it will grow around here, it’s growing there. Oak and hickory mast from a few, mature, scattered trees, rank fescue, sumac, blackberries, buckbrush, and various native grasses – aka, weeds are available. We have had an abundance of rain the last couple of years and the growth in the bootheel has been extravagant. I kept meaning to get to it with my tractor and bushhog, but it’s a bit of trouble, and I just haven’t had time. In fact, I had not even taken the dog for a run back there for months. It’s one of her favorite haunts because of all the smells and the fact that she gets to splash in the tiny spring-fed brook that we have to cross at the bottom of the hill.

The dog was looking a little mournful yesterday, so, in spite of knowing both she and my jeans would come back covered in beggar lice, I took her that direction when it was time to play. Even going down the slope to the brook before we entered the bootheel, I could see the consequences of neglect. Where I could ride through on my ATV just last fall had closed in until it was something of a struggle to get through on foot. Beginning the climb up into the bootheel, it was even worse. The last really bad ice storm we had resulted in lots of downed limbs and split tree trunks. One tall, twenty year old hickory had bent about ten feet above the ground. It never straightened, but it never split either. It’s still all alive, growing horizontally instead of vertically. I hadn’t cut it because it wasn’t in the way that much, and I’m just a little uncertain about what might happen as the weight comes off. Now I see I’m going to have to do something because the other brush is growing up around it. And the problem is the same all over the bootheel. I’m sure the deer like it right now, but if I don’t intervene, the spouts and briers will reclaim all of it and their luxurious accommodations will become just another hiding place.

Rain is almost always a positive thing for people who live on hills. The clay base isn’t that far down, and it tends to drain off and dry out fairly quickly. Cool, rainy years like this one mean prosperity for agriculture in this part of the country. But the same rain that gives good hay and corn crops and keeps the pastures thick and green can cause other, less desirable growth.

I think my bootheel is a picture of some areas of my life. A certain amount of wildness is good, but I can’t completely ignore it and let it go, any more than I can the more visible, manicured front. I need to do some sawing, chopping, trimming and pruning in order to continue to keep things going in the right direction. The first thing to do is face up to it. As the Daredevils say in Black Sky, “It’s the grass in the back that you never did mow.” Folks just driving by think we look pretty good, but those closer to us may be aware that all is not as it should be. The blessings we have received, filling us with joy and contentment, feed the dark, wild, and unseen parts as well.

5 comments:

julie said...

Sounds like a bigger, wilder version of my backyard. I think this fall I'm going to have to hire someone to come in and rim up the trees, at the very least. But the the weeds and the scruffiness are pretty bad, and before it's too late I'll have to do something about it.

The front is perfect, but then that's why I pay HOA dues...

Rick said...

The previous owners let our back yard over grow for 20 years. A 12 foot high wall of briars 20 feet deep or more. Lots of nice trees buried inside suffocating. I tackled it 2 years ago using a chainsaw like through a jungle. I would cut a tunnel through it holding the chainsaw as high as I could but the briars would hang above suspended. Saved a lot of nice trees, but it was a lot of work. Now I mow around them ever couple weeks and that's all it takes to keep it under control.

mushroom said...

Yep, it always easier to keep something cleaned up than get it cleaned up.

Hey, I would appreciate prayers for my nephew -- Marty. He's trying to do the right thing with regard to some stuff, and he is being opposed by people who claim to be Christians. They seem to be motivated mostly by envy and spite. There are apparently no legal avenues for relief. These people just have to have a change of heart in order for the situation to work out. Thanks.

Rick said...

Will do.

Mizz E said...

I just posted this very related poem on FB this morning. I know you'll grok this POV too.

The Peace of Wild Things

by Wendell Berry



When despair for the world grows in me

and I wake in the night at the least sound

in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,

I go and lie down where the wood drake

rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.

I come into the peace of wild things

who do not tax their lives with forethought

of grief. I come into the presence of still water.

And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time

I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.