Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Reason for Liberation

And when they came nigh to Jerusalem, unto Bethphage and Bethany at the Mount of Olives, He sent forth two of His disciples and said unto them, “Go your way into the village opposite you, and as soon as ye have entered into it, ye shall find a colt tied, whereon never man sat. Loose him and bring him. And if any man say unto you, ‘Why do ye this?’ say ye that the Lord hath need of him, and straightway he will send him hither.”

And they went their way and found the colt tied outside by the door at a place where two ways met, and they loosed him. And certain of those who stood there said unto them, “What do ye, loosing the colt?” And they said unto them even as Jesus had commanded, and they let them go. – Mark 11:1-6


This is how the triumphal entry into Jerusalem began. Jesus knew who He was. He knew His position, His authority, and His destiny. He was born a king. By entering Jerusalem seated on a donkey that had never been ridden, He was proclaiming the initiation of His rightful rule over mankind. He did not come on a great warhorse as conqueror. When the kingdom passed from David to Solomon, David instructed that his chosen successor should be seated upon his own mule, signifying the peaceful and voluntary transfer of authority from father to son.

The Bible does not say, but it is interesting to speculate that the colt was not only one that had never been ridden – but that it was a first-born colt. If that were the case, it would belong to the Lord. The first-born male of a clean animal had to be sacrificed according to the Law, but the first-born male of an unclean animal, such as the ass, could be redeemed – have a price paid for it in exchange for its life. An animal the owner did not wish to redeem had to have its neck broken. It was understood that these animals did not belong to the person but to the Lord Himself. This would go well with the instruction Jesus gave to say “the Lord hath need of him”.

I have a lot in common with that lowly donkey. Like it I have been redeemed, but most of the time I seem to just be going about the mundane affairs of everyday life, hauling loads, packing someone around, or standing tied to a post. My life appears quite ordinary and untouched by the Divine. Yet, again like that colt, I still belong to the Lord. Though I was redeemed, it only means that the price was paid that I might live, but this life isn’t mine. You are not your own; you have been bought with a price.

I am allowed to pursue my own ends most of the time. My life is not given fulltime in service to God as we normally think of it. I can do my secular job to please my earthly employer, to gain money and status for myself. Or I can take the approach Paul recommends: And whatsoever you do, do it heartily, as unto the Lord and not unto men (Colossian 3:23). I can see that because my life is redeemed and truly belongs to Christ, my thoughts, words, and actions take on a new significance. The trivial becomes profound, the profane is made holy, and the common is injected with glory.

The other thing I have in common with the donkey is that when the Lord had need of me for some special purpose, I am set free. Nothing will be able to hold me back. When the Lord calls, I have no excuse. I am free to bear His easy, light and joyous burden.

10 comments:

julie said...

Good post today, Mushroom. I never gave much thought to the importance of the ass, but of course it makes a great deal of sense. Also, I can't help thinking that the ass as metaphor for man is part of the big cosmic joke; I'm sure at least one part of the trinity had to know that in one language, at least, it would mean not only a donkey but a butt...

The farther I get into this bewilderness adventure, the more I'm convinced that the Bible has some of the funniest jokes of all time, except we take it all so seriously we just don't usually get it.

Mizz E said...

Thanks for this profound unpacking of Mark. While reading the opening passage, I was "not.getting.a.clue".

Lots of mystical parts for all critters in the mirrOcle play.

Mizz E said...

You do know that Mizz E and the qp are one and the same?!?

Mizz E said...

Finally found it. My photo ode to donkeys with Chesterton's poem.

mushroom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mushroom said...

Yes, QP, I did know. Of course, you are so cute you could'a been twins.

mushroom said...

I never gave much thought to the importance of the ass
My work is done.

mushroom said...

Hey, you know, that donkey photo spread was in May last year.

I wonder if May is like National Take Your Ass to Work Month?

julie said...

lol

Cassandra said...

A wonderful post, Mushroom.
Thank you.