Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sit down. Shut Up. Hold On.

Wait on the LORD;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart;
Wait, I say, on the LORD!

-- Psalm 27:14

God is never in a hurry. Nobody in heaven ever panics.

We are made in the image and likeness of God, but we are differentiated in this movement, this dance of time. Our hearts do grow weak, and our courage does fail us. Fear grows in us, and we say with Jeremiah: Harvest has passed, summer has ended, but we have not been saved.

I might fake bravery when I don’t have time to think about it. Fearlessness in the split second it takes to act can be beneficial. Waiting, though, takes the starch out of us; we wilt in waiting.

I am sure when Lazarus lay sick and dying, he and his sisters sent for Jesus in great faith and fortitude. Their hearts were strong and filled with hope. But the days dragged on as Lazarus grew weaker physically. Those standing by felt their faith grow weaker. When he died, their courage might have lasted for a few hours – Jesus had raised the dead before. The fourth day dawned. The sisters were no fools. Decay had set in. Lazarus had not been saved.

It did not mean that they were without some hope of resurrection and heaven. When Jesus challenged Martha she acknowledged that her brother would rise with the righteous at the last day. Like the grieving sister, most of us still manage to say the right words, even the profound and truthful. We know we must get up in the morning and go on. If our strength is gone, we can still stumble forward, keep breathing in hope of something -- though it maybe no more than a few hours of unconsciousness in sleep. The truth is that a distance hope of grand realities may be less sustaining, at times, than a near hope of a cup of coffee.

How often do I look at one thing or another and say it is too far gone. It can never come back. My inclination is to give up and turn away. Or just give up and embrace the hell of hopelessness. Wait. If I can’t keep from crying, I’ll cry -- and I’ll wait. If I am angry, I’m angry -- and I’ll wait. If I don’t understand, I’ll wait in ignorance. If I don’t know what to say, I’ll wait in silence. That’s always a good idea: shut up and wait. If I can’t wait another hour, I’ll wait five more minutes.

Wait, I say, on the LORD!

He doesn’t call us to have momentary, acute courage. We have to have chronic courage, sometimes for days, weeks, or grinding years. God is hushed; hushed is not silent. God is not rushed, but He is not unmoved.

It is the grinding pressure of time that makes a diamond -- and it is not done yet, for it must be cut. He doesn’t hurry, and He always gets it right – right on time.

4 comments:

QP said...

The truth is that a distance hope of grand realities may be less sustaining, at times, than a near hope of a cup of coffee.

I find my self in that place, more often than not these uncertain days. It helps if I can remember to recall these words: "If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me."

Or to say it another way, being in his presence drives out all fear.

mushroom said...

That's a good thought. I'm putting up on my whiteboard for the next few days.

Looks like on-the-job action is going to be a little intense this week.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Excellent post, Mushroom!

Yes, there are certainly times it seems that all we can do is just hang on and survive.

I believe the book of Job illustrates this best. Job didn't even wanna live, and I can relate to that feeling of despair.

Yet Job didn't go full-on despair. He refused to curse God, and he doggedly kept searching for answers.

He didn't understand why this was happening to him and he needed to know why.

I recall the first time I read Job, I still didn't understand why. It seemed unfair to me, in my youth.

God's answer wasn't what I expected to say the least. I couldn't get what God was sayin'.

But Job did get it, so I knew that understanding was possible. I just wasn't ready to get it myself. And that answer(s) God gave are so deep I may never completely understand and realize what He was sayin' but I never cease to keep delving deeper into God's mysteries.

Therein lies the Truth. And we can never stop fighting to gno the Truth, even when we have no energy at all, because in our weakness His strength is made perfect.

I used to think I fully understood that but now I realize I've barely scratched the surface. :^)

Sal said...

I'm with Ben, barely scratching the surface.
What I needed to hear- thanks, Mushroom!