Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thank You, Veterans!

I had an uncle by marriage who fought in the Spanish-American War, and he also fought in World War I. By the time WWII came around, he was in his sixties. He went down to enlist, and they told him he was too old. Now the odds are Uncle Joe offered to fight everybody in the place, one at a time or all at once to prove he wasn't too old, but they turned him down anyway.

He came back to my grandfather's farm where they were stacking hay. He grabbed a pitchfork and started throwing furiously to the stacker. Someone said, "Slow up a little, Joe. We can't keep up with you. What do you think you're doin'?"

Uncle Joe replied, "I'm fightin' for my country."

Veteran's Day movies recommendations: Zulu and We Were Soldiers.

Thank all of you for your service.

God bless you, and God bless America.

3 comments:

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Thanks, my friend!
That's amazing what your great uncle did!

I can relate. When the first Iraq war broke out, I called the Navy to see if I could do something.
I was still healthy enough at that point.
Unfortunately they said no.

Then, on 9/11, all I could think about was getting back on a ship.
Of course, there was no way I could have done it at that point.
It still beckons though.

You're Uncle had it right. We can serve at home! Ha ha!

Outstanding movie recommendations! I love We Were Soldiers. I don't have Zulu, but I watch it when it's on TCM.
Just watched Destroyer this mornin' with Edward G. Robinson and Glenn Ford. :^)

robinstarfish said...

Amen, that.

mushroom said...

I'd say it gets in your blood.

You're all heroes in my book.