Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Friday, November 14, 2008

Cutting the Devil Down to Size

Vindicate me, God, and defend my cause against an ungodly nation; rescue me from deceitful and unjust man. For You are the God of my refuge. Why have You rejected me? Why must I go about in sorrow because of the enemy’s oppression?

Send Your light and Your truth; let them lead me. Let them bring me to Your holy mountain, to Your dwelling place. Then I will come to the altar of God, to God, my greatest joy. I will praise You with the lyre, O God, my God.

Why am I so depressed? Why this turmoil within me? Hope in God, for I will still praise Him, my Savior and my God. – Psalm 43


Since there has been some talk of angels on One Cosmos the last few days, I suppose it started me thinking.

Like the Psalmist, I have trouble with trouble. If, like me, you believe in God, then you probably have found yourself wondering, at least momentarily, if God has rejected you. I take things personally. If something goes wrong, I blame myself first. What did I do wrong? Where did I miss it? But it isn’t always my fault. Sometimes it can’t be. So I look around for someone to blame. Maybe it’s my wife’s fault. And so I go down the list.

We are told plainly that we do not fight against mere flesh and blood enemies. The Bible has no problem saying that there is an adversary of the Divine, an accuser of the brethren. We shouldn’t use the devil as an excuse, but we should recognize his presence and resist his efforts. In The Screwtape Letters Lewis warns of the two ways to err regarding the demonic. We can become morbidly obsessed with the devil, which is clearly wrong. It is, however, equally erroneous to dismiss demonic influence entirely.

The devil is real. You can call him an archetype; you can say it is a function of the human psyche; you can call it a mind parasite. It is real, and it is an adversarial force bent on destruction. No less an authority than Jesus Christ said that the devil was a liar and the father of lies. He compared him to a thief, coming to steal, kill and destroy. In fact, Jesus spoke about the devil and demons frequently. He told us that the devil not only deceives us but even attacks us physically.

The poet and artist William Blake did not believe that the soul and the body were really separate. He thought the body was a manifestation or emanation of the soul. The philosopher Anaxagoras said, “Appearances are a glimpse of what is hidden.” What happens, what we see in the physical realm is intimately related to what goes on in the spiritual. If that is the case, it is not surprising to find a physical disease or disability result from the enemy’s attack on the soul.

When we find ourselves laboring in darkness and oppression, what should we do? First we should call out to God. Come into the light and understand that in Christ we are released from all Satan’s accusations and indictments. Jesus paid it all. While I must deal with the consequences of my sin, there is no additional redemption in me suffering for my sins. I am no more delivered because I wallow in sorrow and suffer under demonic attack than if I stand upon my salvation in Christ and fight the devil. That is the whole point of Ephesians 6 as Paul tells us to deploy the shield of faith lest we be pierced by the fiery darts of the adversary.

I may chose to endure suffering and hardship, or I may make a sacrifice to benefit another person, but I should give no ground to the devil. God has not rejected us any more than He has rejected Christ the Son. We need not “go about in sorrow because of the enemy’s oppression”. Instead, light and truth can lead us into God presence where we find genuine acceptance and joy. The writer of Psalm 43 touches on one, possibly the primary way to throw back the assault of the enemy, and fully enter God presence: praise.

To me, that has always sounded like pure cornball flakiness. Yet, the longest book in the Bible is the book of Psalms. David, called the man after God’s own heart, with all his faults, was above all a man of praise, a singer of psalms. Before Jesus went up to pray on Gethsemane on the night of His betrayal, He and the disciples sang a hymn. In heaven, the redeemed will sing a new song.

Hey, it’s worth a try.

Hallelujah!

3 comments:

QP said...

"Cutting the Devil Down to Size" can be bloody hard work - I watched it in technicolor last night.

Me? I went through repeated Sweat Phases, even though my Mom repeatedly said it wasn't ladylike to sweat.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

The writer of Psalm 43 touches on one, possibly the primary way to throw back the assault of the enemy, and fully enter God presence: praise.

Hallelujah Brother Mushroom!
Excellent post! IMO, demons certainly do exist as does satan.
I don't think one could believe in Angels and deny the existence of demons, although I do know some Christians and Jews do.

Mind parasites are human constructs, if I understand Bob properly. That's not to say evil can't make them worse however.

The armor of God is very crucial in fighting evil and defending against it, as is prayer, repentence, and praise, which I'm glad you mentioned.
Seems evil hates praise. Kind of like spiritual bombs that hurts evil and helps Good. :^)

mushroom said...

I can't imagine QP ever breaking a sweat, just as I can't imagine angels perspiring.

I've had so many close calls, near-misses, and happy accidents. After some of those I'm sure my angel probably tried to turn in his resignation or get re-assigned.

Mushroom's angel to supervisor: "Yes, I know my wings are crumpled which is why I stopped here on my way to the shop. Did you possibly see how that happened? Did you see the embankment he rolled that truck down? Do you have any idea what happens to wings pinned up against the top of a pickup which has flown through the air and landed upside down? I had to hold him in place and it was all I could do keep the top from caving in and smashing his apparently empty head.

"And this is hardly the first time. Remember when I spent a week being rehabbed after his motorcycle wreck? And all those dirt bike crashes before that? Horses, cows, tractors. Oh, and don't forget the time he tried to push the preacher's car and wound up underneath it. Remember how much trouble you gave me over the expenses on that one?

"I'd be better off with a NASCAR driver. Give me a skydiver, a bullrider, a human cannonball, somebody on the bomb squad, Craig Biggio*, anybody!"



*See the "Hit by pitch" section