Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Friday, February 6, 2015

The Exchange



Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it. – Matthew 13:45-46


Seller:  What do you have to give in exchange for the pearl?

Buyer:  This is all the money that I have with me, but I will empty my accounts and bring it all to you.

Seller:  Good.  Do you have a car?

Buyer:  You want that, too?

Seller:  Of course. 

Buyer:  But how will I get to work, to do my job and make a living?

Seller:  You have a job?  I’ll take that, too.

Buyer:  How will I pay for my house and where will my family live?

Seller:  Don’t worry.  I’ll take your house and your family.  Anything else?

The Buyer looks at the pearl so perfect.  It is the one thing he has always wanted, though he did not always know that he sought it.   The Buyer shakes his head.  Nothing save my life, he whispers. 


The Seller smiles, I will take that as well.  So saying, he places the pearl in the hand of the Buyer. 


The Buyer signs his name as the joy of the pearl that he now possesses fills him with exultation. 

Buyer:  It’s worth it.  Worth it all.

Seller:  Yes.  Your life and all you possess and cherish are mine.  The pearl is yours.  What I want you to do is manage my new acquisitions.  Take care of them as I would.  Manage wisely, as I would.  Someday, I will ask for an accounting, meanwhile, you may take your pearl and go on about my business.

4 comments:

John Lien said...

Plot twist! Nice interpretation.

robinstarfish said...

Grin. Enjoyed that, I did.

Rick said...

Nice exercise. A reverse exegesis. Or a reconstituted parable. I think this is good to do -- it helped me think about it in new ways.
Mush, while in the process of making it, it must have shed some new light for you too?

mushroom said...

It's helped me, but it's not original to me. Brother A.R. Trotter caught Vickie and I out in front of his church in Lewisville one Sunday night after the service. He would always come out and shake hands and the like. For some reason, that evening, he started relating this. This is his version, more or less, because it was at least 25 years ago.