Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Friday, February 27, 2015

Friday Proverb



Be wise, my son, and make my heart glad, that I may answer him who reproaches me. -- Proverbs 27:11


I just have time for a quick verse of the day.  Too many meetings and my granddaughter will be here later. 

This proverb reads as an admonition of a father to a son to live wisely, circumspectly and lawfully so as not to bring reproach upon the family or the father’s name.   It reminds me, as well, that Satan is called the “accuser of the brethren”.  I believe that the devil is a being, a fallen archangel perhaps, and a real person, but that’s not a belief that is necessary to understanding the reproach which unwise living can bring upon us and, by extension, upon Christ and the Father. 

The Adversary has plenty of proxies in the world ready to heap accusations upon anyone who names the Name of Christ whether or not warranted.  A few years ago, in a rather heated conversation, I quoted someone else using the word “hell”.  Later it was reported that I had used language too vulgar and profane to be repeated by the chaste lips of my auditor. 

We live in a world where taking offense and being a victim is practically a career path.  It is manipulation and a rather nasty form of witchcraft.  We can’t and shouldn’t live our lives according to the dictates of the professional “weaker brother”.  However, the genuinely weaker brother is a legitimate concern.  We do not need to adopt his conscience as our own, but we should help bear his burden and do our best not to offend him or cause him for whom Christ died to be led astray.

2 comments:

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Hmm, my first comment didn't take. No doubt a result of the new Net Neuterality.

Anyhoo, you can imagine my shock that you said the h-e-double-hockey stick word.

However, your point is well taken.

mushroom said...

That censor is going to get a work out.