Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Altered for a Heavenly Fit

For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. -- Romans 8:29

I am certainly not about to get into a debate with any experts in theology, especially Calvinistic theology, as for such dragons I would likely be considered crunchy and good with ketchup.  But the verse does tell us what we are predestined for, and that is to be conformed to the image of Christ.

That's almost a like-it-or-not proposition, an offer we can't refuse.  My absolute certainty of free will does not preclude me from believing that, once stepping through the strait gate, we will most likely follow all the way to the end.  We will be made into the image of Christ, no matter what it takes or how long it takes.  I am pretty much counting on the fact that God will not give up on me until I am conformed to the image of the Son, until you and I and numberless others are unified in faith, brought to maturity in the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ

As we talked about yesterday, it is the final cause of this life which gives it meaning.  I often find myself looking around the world and thinking I was born out of time, that I should have been far happier living in my grandfather's time, walking behind a plowhorse, unstressed by the taxations and vexations of modern life.  Nevertheless, while we may not have chosen our times (and I'm not totally convinced of that), we are where we must be.  As we are being transformed, destined to be conformed, we were also destined to bear the burden of this day. 

I do not think it is time to beat our swords into plowshares.  The battle line forms.  Proverbs 24:10 says, If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small.  The day is upon us, and it will alter us forever.  This is nothing to fear.     

5 comments:

Bob's Blog said...

I linked to your last two posts here: http://bobagard.blogspot.com/2013/03/free-will-and-god-not-giving-up-on-us.html

mushroom said...

Thank you, Bob.

Rick said...

"Nevertheless, while we may not have chosen our times (and I'm not totally convinced of that)"

You're not the only one. At times I swear I almost remember choosing. A better word might be "accepting".

mushroom said...

I don't remember asking, but I always feel like I'm wrong if I say, "I never asked for this."

Rick said...

Right. And like I've been paying for it ever since :-)