Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Going to Ground



Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.  -- Romans 12:2


As humans, we alone appear to have a choice in how we live.  My cats, my dog, the deer that shred my trees, the fish in the pond, none of these creatures can see beyond itself.  The animal recognizes threats, responds to kindness, seeks a secure environment to feed, rest, and reproduce with little choice, for it is driven mostly by instincts.  Animals, at least those that are by nature predators, seem to be capable of reasoning in the sense of being able to solve a concrete puzzle that lies in front of them and working together to bring down prey.  Most animals can be trained to do rather complex things, but it is at the direction of a higher human mind guiding and channeling their instincts.  As my father said with regard to training a stock dog, “First, you have to be smarter than the dog.” 

Though my choices in life and where I have ended up are very much founded in the time and place and circumstances of my childhood, I do not believe I was bound by my past to do the things I have done.  If I was constrained by anything I would say it was more a vision of my future that drew rather than the past that drove me.  Many years ago, I deliberately set down on paper the kind of place and situation in which I wanted to live, and that is where I am.  I don’t mean to imply that I consciously took the exercise very seriously because I did not.  I had just read or heard of the idea and did it.  Regardless of how my conscious mind saw it, it apparently gave my natural life a direction.  The path here was halting and meandering, even tortuous.  This is not heaven.  It is less than idyllic.  It has disadvantages and troubles, and I sometimes ask myself what I am doing here, but it is what I pictured – what I asked for right down to some very specific aspects. 

If you stop and think about that for a moment, that is kind of scary.  Time, though, makes a lot more sense to me if I think of it, not as something going past me, but as a dimension in which I move just as I do in space.   If we don’t know where we are going in space, we are fairly unlikely to get there.  Maybe the same is true for time. 

And then there is eternity, a different attractor -- as Bob would say -- altogether.  Life might be a little like electricity.  If you have the right ground, electricity can flow the right way and do something positive.  If you let it find its own ground, it can be extremely destructive.  That’s what I like about Jesus.     

Therefore it says, “When he ascended on high he led a host of captives, and he gave gifts to men.”   (In saying, “He ascended,” what does it mean but that he had also descended into the lower parts of the earth?  He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.) (Ephesians 4:8-10)

He is the Alpha and Omega, Generator and Ground.  We come from Him and go to Him, and we are transformed in the process, becoming like Him and part of Him -- because He knows the end from the beginning. 

And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.  Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.  (Ephesians 4:11-16)

5 comments:

John Lien said...

(And you may ask yourself, "How did I get here?")

I like that electricity/ground analogy. But, I like electricity.

As for eternity. It's outside of time so in my mind I conjure up something static, unmoving. But it can't be that because you need movement and time to be alive. Something static would be more like a slice of time. So eternity is all time at once? Hypertime? I dunno, my head hurts.

mushroom said...

It may be a Stephen Wright saying that time keeps everything from happening at once.

But I can almost imagine -- at least the concept of it -- God being able to move all directions in time and space instantaneously and simultaneously.

Rick said...

That thing you wrote down on paper, Mush, it reminds of one of Stephen Covey's Seven Habits -- begin with the end in mind. I think it works because you purposely try to "sense" your telos, then spend the rest of your time trying to become it (him, you). This is different than just looking for signs, I think, or "looking for yourself" (which is the same as looking for clues). You have to find your end first.
I spent so much time learning how to get that job as an illustrator. True story. And I did it. But while consumed with learning how to get it, I never thought about what it would be like to be it. The job was at a newspaper, a pretty good one. I quit in two weeks. It was like trying to be creative with your head in the guillotine. But that wasn't the worst of it. It was how everyone else didn't feel the same way. And there was nothing other than "now". Nothing mattered what you did yesterday. It was like there was no meaning to anything. It was no place to make art and no way to treat it.
Anyway, begin with the end in mind.

Rick said...

Modification:
You have to find your end first, then look for clues; to make sure you're on track.

mushroom said...

Yep, it's a way of saying "who am I?" I think there's something to things like affirmations and visualization and all that -- but you won't necessarily find who you are. Like you found out with the illustrator job.

I have had the same experience. I had one job in my actual degree field -- doing psychometric testing in a mental hospital -- I lasted about six months. One day I woke up: These people are crazy. And the pay was nothing extra. Give me something that makes sense -- like computers.