Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Quote the Raven

When the cloud remained over the tabernacle a long time, the Israelites obeyed the LORD's order and did not set out. — Numbers 9:19

Early in my alleged adult life, we moved a lot. In those days I could load the big stuff in the back of a full-size pickup. For the small, breakable things that needed protection, I would borrow my sister's 1970-ish Bonneville, the trunk of which would hold an entire Geo Metro, if broken down, and they usually were. As I got older and tended to stay in one place for more than two months, I began to accumulate belongings. I remember the first time I had to rent a truck to move our possessions. I've rented several since then, each one getting a little bigger. More than once I've had a car full of junk on a trailer behind the truck.

During their wanderings in the wilderness, the Israelites never had this problem. They were nomads — like the Indians of the Great Plains or the Bedouins Lawrence led against the Germans and Ottoman Turks. As far as the Tabernacle went, each of the major family lines in the tribe of Levi had specific tasks and assignments for which they were responsible when the Tent of Meeting had to be moved. Sometimes, the cloud remained in one spot for a long time; sometimes, they were in a place only overnight. It didn't matter. The idea was to follow the cloud.

There are probably some of us who have difficulty when things move too fast. Some of the Israelites likely complained, "I was just starting to like this place." There are folks who thrive on routine, who like to cut a groove and wear it smooth. I'm like that about some things. Don't mess with my coffee pot. I get up at more or less the same time every morning wherever I am, whatever is going on, regardless of how late I was up the night before, weekend, weekday, it doesn't matter. I am a regular guy.

Others of us like to think we are going somewhere, exploring strange, new worlds, living on the cutting edge, always moving forward. Among the tribes of Israel, there were probably many who got a little weary of waiting for a move after a week or two weeks or six months. Certain churches and ministers are always talking about a fresh anointing, fresh fire, a new move of God. I sympathize with those folks, too. I get bored easily with routine work. I like to learn new things, acquire new skills, face fresh challenges. I don't mind revisiting something I've mastered, but I like to push it a little.

The routine has its dangers. When the cloud stays in one place too long, there is a risk that we might forget about the cloud altogether. We get so used to seeing it hanging over the same old spot all the time that we don't really see it at all. If it moves on, will we notice?

Many years ago a pastor friend of ours told us that we had a "raven ministry" — it was an explanation we needed. When Elijah had prophesied against Ahab and the apostasy of Israel, he called for an extended drought on the land (1 Kings 17). Then he retreated to the Wadi Cherith through which flowed a little brook. The prophet drank from the brook, and, twice a day, ravens would fly in carrying bread and meat they had picked up somewhere. Notice these were ravens, not angels. The common raven is a large, black bird known to be good at problem-solving, omnivorous and opportunistic in feeding, and liable to become a pest. Except for the black part, that's me. Ravens are not clean birds, that is, Jews should not eat ravens, which are also known to feed on carrion when they get the chance. Chickens that pick grain out of cow manure are fine, but not ravens.

Anyway, that's what we did, as the Spirit of God led us, we moved from place to place and brought spiritual food to God's people, especially to His weary and fainting prophets. It was a pretty cool thing to walk into a church and have the pastor almost run up to us and say, "I see you are in the ministry." Of course, the downside was that, usually, we were just there to help them move on down the road. The little wet-weather stream in Elijah's Wadi is going to dry up, and he is going to have to get up and go. The ravens go back to minding their own business and looking for roadkill. The pastor might be glad to see us, but, ultimately, we were a sort of "bad sign".

I'm not saying it wasn't tough to make friends, to share meals with people, to learn to love them then, one day, experience a painful break and realize our work was done in that place. Four or five times this happened in the course of about eight years. Recently I ran into a couple we had met during our time as ravens. They barely remembered us. My wife talked too much — she never could quite let go of a place or of the people. It was almost as if they had been hit with the Men In Black machine that wipes away memory. As she reminded them of this or that, I could see they were fighting against it, as if it were forbidden. She gave them our phone number, and, at Christmas, she insisted we send them a card. We'll never hear from them again.

So there are advantages and disadvantages to being a raven, but the one thing about it was that I was always paying attention to the cloud. The brook has dried up. I glance over my shoulder. The cloud is moving. This is our last delivery.

I'm glad I don't have to do the raven thing any more. You're not allowed to not love them. That's the bread and meat. If you don't love them, there's no point in showing up. You leave a little piece of your heart in four or five church foyers — come to think about it, it was closer to seven. A shattered, scattered heart. Fifteen or sixteen years after, we happened to fly by one of those Wadi Cherith's where the prophet had been and where the cloud had touched down. It was a little while before the evening service started, and we didn't have time to stay, but we walked into the big front door. In a case on the wall there were names we knew and pictures we recognized. I asked about one and was told he was gone to his reward. I asked about another and received an uncomprehending shake of the head. As I looked around I couldn't hide the tears, like rain in the dry season. The auditorium would soon be filled. The stream runs strong. But an old raven is just a pest in this place now.

And I have a cloud to catch.

16 comments:

julie said...

I find I'm out of words, but that bell is ringing again,m yes, indeed...

Thanks, Mush.

mushroom said...

For all the dumb stuff on the internet -- not that dumb isn't really funny sometimes -- I have found so many things from you and the rest of the raccoon tribe, known and unknown, that leave me thinking, "Wow, somebody understands that" or "I didn't know anybody else felt that" or whatever.

I joke that I'm a much nicer person in cyberspace than in real life, and that is true to some extent because I'm a lot less defensive. You all do so much for me, if I am able to in some small way return the favor from time to time it is probably more a reflection of your goodness and the grace of God in you all than in me.

mushroom said...

Some people are giving up soap for a month. Supposedly there is a chemical triclosan in anti-bacterial soaps that might cause mice to need HRT or something.

The SportsGeezer asks, Why? I ask, if antibacterial soap is the problem, why not use regular old soap like Ivory that's 99 and 44/100's percent pure? Pure what I've never understood, but pure.

Soap good. Stink bad. Smelling like patchouli or even reefer counts as stink. That the guy in the story hasn't been told that he stinks in the past year simply means people are polite.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much. At least they say it's OK to use shampoo.

julie said...

Oh, good grief. I've avoided using anti-bacterial soap for ages, because it just seems like a generally bad idea. But giving up soap altogether?! Yuck!

Re. the shampoo, that depends which "they" you talk to. There have been a bunch of folks against that, too, for quite a while. And deodorant. Paranoid claims that it causes cancer or some such, and besides it's not "natural" to use hygiene products. Riiiiight.

The stupid, it stinks!

robinstarfish said...

I"m looking out back at the ravens a little differently today.

Rick said...

Lovely post, Mushroom.
Thank you.

mushroom said...

The one I heard about deodorant was that it causes Alzheimer's, and maybe something else, but I can't remember.

Rick said...

No worries. It's not deodorant. It's antiperspirant that causes

julie said...

Back when I was in art school, some girl was pontificating in my watercolor class about the dangers of shampoo and deodorant, and talking about how she was using some sort of organic stuff that didn't work as well but wouldn't give her cancer.

When she was finished, I had the instructor doubled over in laughter as I sighed, and in a sorrowful tone lamented, "see what happens when they don't test on animals?"

julie said...

Some days, my filter doesn't work so good ;)

mushroom said...

Ho! Right through the gizzard. That's funny.

See, Rick, the senility has already set in.

Rick said...

Mush,
About that couple that barely remembered you and your wife, why do you think they acted the way they did? You give the impression that they seemed to be almost fighting the remembering.

mushroom said...

What it boiled down to was that the pastor at a local church who had been there for years needed to move on. He didn't really want to, but the Lord was pressuring him. We walked in and became catalysts -- and I mean that in the most mechanical sense you can imagine it -- to bring about a change. A whole bunch of controversy and conflict erupted in the congregation. We were on the pastor's side, I guess, though he had been stupid in his handling of some thing -- nothing immoral or illegal -- just not very wise.

Looking back I could see that not only did we support him, we gave him space and encouragement to get a new perspective and seek direction from God. He resigned. He refused to fight or contend with anyone. He never answered any accusation made against him. He never said a harsh word against anyone no matter what they had done or said to him.

Now you'd think that would have made everybody happy, but a lot of people wanted their pound of flesh. When they couldn't reach the pastor, they turned on us. We were there for a few months after he had left. We became the bad guys even though all we had done was help clear up an unhealthy situation.

I remember it because it is part of who I am, an essential part. They don't remember because their part was more or less incidental. Say you are in traffic. A car changing lanes in front of you doesn't see you and cuts you off forcing you to hit the brakes. As a result you get rear-ended. The guy in the car that cut you off gets to work and says, "I just missed being in an accident this morning." Two weeks later he won't remember it, but you will.

Rick said...

Ah. Thanks, Mush.
And a good analogy.

mushroom said...

Be sure and check out the C.S. Lewis blog in "Better Places" on the sidebar. The current entry linked above is about a new mystery novel using the Inklings as characters. The interview includes references to the protagonists of That Hideous Strength.

mushroom said...

For some reason I added a follower button on the PFD blog -- not necessarily that I intended to, but it has been in use and one of the passers-by indicated that he couldn't find the follower button on this one. So now there is one under "Hey, Let's follow the blind guy".

If you are like me and use Firefox with all the scripts disabled, you'll have to "temporarily allow" to see it -- which is why I never saw it on the other blog.