Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Friday, June 19, 2009

Not Better than the Rest

I wait quietly before God,
for my victory comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress where I will never be shaken.

So many enemies against one man—
all of them trying to kill me.
To them I’m just a broken-down wall
or a tottering fence.
They plan to topple me from my high position.
They delight in telling lies about me.
They praise me to my face
but curse me in their hearts.

Let all that I am wait quietly before God,
for my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress where I will not be shaken.
My victory and honor come from God alone.
He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me.
O my people, trust in him at all times.
Pour out your heart to him,
for God is our refuge.

(Psalm 62:1-8, New Living Translation)

I have to leave First John, at least momentarily, to deal with the subject of war. Earlier this week, spiritual warfare was a topic that came to my attention repeatedly. There is no advancement on the road to freedom that does not involve battle. One of the reasons a day of slack or a time of slack every day is so important to us is that it permits us get our feet set for the blows that come at us. The more the enemy assails us, the more we need our rest and refuge.

Weaponry I have. Strength I have most of the time. What I need once in a while is a place to hide. Without some slack, I get shell-shocked. Battle-rattle will cause us to do stupid things, make mistakes, stumble, and leave ourselves unguarded and vulnerable. In the political sphere we can see that this is a favorite tactic of power-hungry politicians. The opponents of political freedom want to keep throwing things at us, keep us back on our heels, on the ropes, covering. The same is true of our spiritual enemies. The prince of the power of the air prefers to keep us from thinking and, certainly, from praying and meditating.

So many enemies against one man -- I’ve said something like that dozens of times lately. A tottering fence is the perfect description of my position the last few days. It seems that any gust of wind would overthrow me. Of course I don’t have a high position in the world, but I am seated in Christ above all, and it is from there the enemy would see me toppled.

But I overcome in quietness. My battle plan is to wait quietly on the Lord. I do have a stronghold wherein I may hide safely and securely. To the world and those who oppose me I may look like I am about to fall, yet, as I trust, falling is impossible. It seems crazy to rest when so many things are happening, when everything seems to be falling apart, when there is so much that needs to be done. To fall into the frenzy of activity, to become one with the fearful words and images that flow toward us in a filthy, unending stream seems a more rational response. It is wrong.

The battle is won by stillness of heart.

No comments: