Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Walker Percy Profundity Accompanied by Silliness

Southerners have trouble ruling out the possible. What happens to a man to whom all things seem possible and every course of action open? Nothing of course. Except war. If a man lives in the sphere of the possible and waits for something to happen, what he is waiting for is war – or the end of the world. That is why Southerners like to fight and make good soldiers. In war the possible becomes actual through no doing of our own. – From The Last Gentleman by Walker Percy


I feel I owe something to the late Dr. Percy. Prior to this, I have read only Second Coming, one of his last novels, dealing with the same protagonist, Will Barrett, at a time later in life. That novel had a profound influence on me, very much the final boot out the back door of frozen fundamentalism. I always felt like a gate crasher there anyway. It was only a matter of time.

Like Barrett I am, in many ways, a reactionary. Some people want to make things happen. I’m more likely to want to keep things from happening. Others create. I fix things. I solve problems – usually problems created by others, but occasionally ones created by myself in an attempt to solve someone else’s problem.

As others have observed, this can be a difference between men and women. Not so much that women cause all the problems, but that they like to talk about situations as if something needed to be fixed. My wife seems to think that talking – endlessly – about anything is somehow beneficial. Not only is it beneficial to her, it is beneficial to our relationship. Ever notice it is the little old men who are most likely to be deaf?

Someone needs to explain this to me. If my wife and I are in the car, and I’m driving, are we not doing something together? Why doesn’t being in the car together listening to music count? Why doesn’t sitting on the sofa or the bed together watching a movie count? Why does it only count if we talk? I cannot enjoy music if someone is talking over it. I cannot follow a movie if someone is talking the whole time.

And this one really gets me: we’re watching a TV show, my wife keeps chattering, paying no attention to what is going on, and then she suddenly realizes something is happening on screen. “What’s he doing? Why is he doing that?” Do you know why I will never give up my DVR? Because I can hit the pause button and not miss the entire rest of the show while I explain what has happened up to that point. Of course, it also means that I now watch television in about five minute increments, but it’s better than nothing.

After all, I'm a problem-solver.

7 comments:

QP said...

So interesting - unbelievable but true: I just heard of Walker Percy this very week for the first time; in the same breathe his name was mentioned along with Lewis and Chesterton. OK, I got it, I'm suppose to read WP.

I chose QP (Quiet Pot) for my blawgname cause it fits. I'm the listener in most relationships; I think that's why I became a Stephen Minister....so Mushroom, I hear ya!

mushroom said...

You'll like him. My wife was briefly an Admin at TCU. She worked for some Catholic folks there -- I don't remember the name of the outfit -- it was like the Sir Thomas More Society or something. One day they were discussing Second Coming. She came home telling me about it, and I filed it away for later reference. Turned out to be years later, but worth remembering. I am going to pick up his nonfiction book Lost in the Cosmos first chance I get.

Both The Last Gentleman and Second Coming are much more "literary" than Lewis or Charles Williams, for example. He was an artist.

Are Stephen Ministers like Deacons?

QP said...

What is it about Southern writers?

Nothing like deacons; plain ole Christian caregiving, one-on-one. Non-demoninational Stephen Ministry website. Home base is in St. Louis.

mushroom said...

I like what Flannery O'Connor said about northern readers calling her southern characters grotesque. She said if they really were grotesque they would call them realistic.

JWM said...

Ah, the South. Back in '91, before I left on my first cross-country motorcycle trip, I mentioned to some of my liberal friends and co-workers that I was going to head for some of the southern states for a visit. I was warned, of course about "those red-necks". As it turned out I was warmly received everywhere I went. The only sour vibes I got were in Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan. On a subsequent trip I brought this up with a Cajun woman, and she said, "You know why that is? You are a Character. And Southerners appreciate a Character.
That was good candidate for the highest compliment I've ever received.

JWM

robinstarfish said...

Good chuckle today re talking versus watching/reading. I could never get through the morning paper, but I finally figured out the solution - cancel the subscription. I missed it for exactly zero seconds. And now I keep thinking I should record the morning chatter. She's a very funny girl - stand-up quality - and much more insightful than any paper.

Percy - now on my booklist. Any comparison to Williams and Lewis deserves a read.

Sal said...

There is a very fine group biography of O'Connor, Percy, Day and Merton, called "The Life You Save May Be Your Own" (after the O'Connor short story).
I highly recommend it, and may re-read it myself, since you made me think of it. It is very entertaining and the points at which their lives touched, very interesting.

I haven't actually read any Percy, either, QP, though I've known of him for years, mea culpa I need to fix that...