Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Strength and Weakness

A few days ago, I heard a chorus that said grace is enough for us, and it contained the line, “The weak will lead the strong.” I don’t know who wrote the chorus, but I can guess that one passage he or she had in mind was this:

But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Therefore, I will gladly boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may reside in me. So because of Christ, I am pleased in weaknesses, in insults, in catastrophes, in persecutions, and in pressures. For when I am weak, then I am strong. – 2 Corinthians 12:9,10


The old saying is that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. I am reminded of this every time I watch The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and come to the scene where the Beavers, Peter, Lucy, and Susan are running across open ground thinking the White Witch is about to catch them. They can only go as fast as the slowest member of the group. They will not leave anyone behind. So must our intent be in the Body of Christ. In John 17, Jesus prayed that we would all be one in Him. Paul tells us to be considerate of weaker brothers. If I think I am strong then I ought, all the more, show deference to the weak. It is good and appropriate that we are advancing in the kingdom, learning, gaining enlightenment and power, but we should not leave our brothers and sisters behind. Keep the weaker in front, encourage and support them.

Jesus said the meek shall inherit the earth. If you want to know what meekness is watch a powerful man wrestling with his small son. It is obvious that at any time the father could easily overcome the child’s small strength, but he does not. Not only does the man give in to the boy’s efforts, but he does so in such a way as to protect the little one and keep him from injuring himself. Meekness is strength voluntarily yielding and shielding.

“Turn the other cheek” has always been a problem for me. Does God really expect me to let people just run over me? Must a Christian surrender to oppression and injustice?

Think about what the Lord is saying. He is talking to me personally. If someone wants to cheat me and take my coat, not only should I give him the coat, but I should throw my shirt in, though he did not ask for it. As the old folks would say, “If he can live with it, I can live without.” Who is stronger: the one who connives to steal the coat, or the one who gives it up joyfully with the shirt as well?

The law said that a soldier might make a demand on a civilian to carry his pack for him to the next mile marker. Jesus said if that demand is placed on me, I should carry it not to the next mile marker, but joyful go a second mile that I don’t have to. Who is stronger: the one who makes a demand under an oppressive law, or the one who thinks nothing of the burden and the second mile?

If someone slaps me on the cheek, it stings. It is enough to make the adrenaline dump and blood rush to my face. I feel anger, but I am not really hurt. Who is stronger: the one who slaps someone’s face, or the one who smiles and offers to let them slap the other cheek?

The Lord isn’t telling me to be a pacifist, to stand aside and allow the wicked to oppress, ravage, and destroy the less powerful. He is telling me to keep my perspective. The world is full of cowards and petty tyrants who will attempt to bully and humiliate us. When He says, “Turn the other cheek”, He is thinking of those people, people who can possibly be moved, changed, or inspired by the meekness and joyous nobility of the true Christian.

Do not be overcome by evil. But overcome evil with good.

3 comments:

Joan of Argghh! said...

Yes. To allow an offense to drive our bus is a dangerous and unfruitful trip to places we don't want to go.

JWM said...

Turning the other cheek, going the extra mile, giving the shirt as well... It's kind of like a spiritual judo. It looks easy when the instructor shows you how it's done. It is also, like a judo move, exquisitely simple. Simple isn't easy. It takes a master to have the presence of mind to pull it off. It sounds easy in Sunday school class when you're a kid. And as a adult, you know that it does work. We can all do it a little bit, and once in a while. But only a little bit and once in a while. And there's nothing easy about it when you're dealing with some meathead who richly deserves a verbal, or even physical ass kicking, and rage starts sparking when you're at your flashpoint... But I wouldn't know anything about that... Not me, nope.

JWM

mushroom said...

Absolutely. Only the strong can be meek, and there's certainly no way I'm strong enough on my own.