Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Columbus Day!

In honor of Columbus Day, let's do something different.


Superman Eyes

I got superman eyes, ex-ray vision;
I see through everything,
Cain't make no decision.
I got uber-man eyes, blind but fat;
I can't see a blessed thing,
Don't know where I'm at.

I got superman eyes
Blinded by the light.
When you see through it all,
Might as well be night.

I got superman speed, goin' fast;
Circle round a round world,
And the first is last.
I got uber-man speed, where'm I goin'?
At the bottom of the well,
And I just keep borin'

I got superman eyes
Blinded by the light.
When you see through it all,
Might as well be night.



From The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis:

If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.

5 comments:

QP said...

I couldn't figure out your use of "cain't", in more than one instance - is 'Shroom slippin' a subliminal message in here - the biblical or the political kind, both could work - nay, that's jest my quirky mind. He's jest funnin' with country. :) There's a really sweet Louisiana country gal in my yoga class who says "had went", when "went" would do; startling to hear.

Joan of Argghh! said...

This puts me in mind of a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon wherein Calvin laments his ability to see all sides of an issue. His world became flat, like a Picasso abstract. He couldn't navigate it properly.

:o)

mushroom said...

It's just poetic license to use my native hillbilly. The one I will say without ever thinking about it is "fixin'". I'm never just going to work, I'm fixin' to go to work. I've even heard Bush use that one.

I used to be a big C&H fan -- I kind of remember that one now that you mention it.

Rick said...

Hey! I didn’t know it was Peter Faulk’s birthday?!

Fido said...

He said, Columbus not Columbo.

Sorry, Mushroom. I don’t know how he gets out.

Here boy!