Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We Would See Jesus

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Here is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is the One I told you about: ‘After me comes a man who has surpassed me, because He existed before me.’ I didn’t know Him, but I came baptizing with water so that He might be revealed to Israel.” – John 1:29-31

John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance, that is, indicative of repentance. The Baptist knew what he was called to do. He had a prophetic understanding of the times in which he had been placed. He realized that an Anointed One was coming, yet he did not know who it was. When Jesus appeared, John immediately recognized that He was what it was all about.

Sometimes it is the same way in my life. I know what I need to do, but I don’t necessarily know why I am doing it or what it means. The Old Testament prophets like Jeremiah, Isaiah, and Ezekiel often acted out or portrayed things of great significance. Isaiah named his children according to the word that came to him. Jeremiah bought a new linen belt and hid it under a rock by the Euphrates until it rotted. Ezekiel used an iron griddle signify the unbreakable nature of the siege of Jerusalem.

Like those actions, baptism is a symbol of repentance. The water removes no sin, but obedience to the ritual is a visible statement of one’s willingness to change. John is described as the voice of one crying in the wilderness to prepare the king’s highway, smooth it out and make it inviting for Him. Jesus is seen when the way has been prepared. The Groom is revealed to the Bride after she has made herself ready.

I wonder about the view of such a message in these seeker-sensitive days. Certainly Jesus invites all who will to drink freely of the water of life. The Lamb of God has taken away all the sin of the world by the blood He shed.

I think, though, if I find myself believing yet unsatisfied it may be because He has not been revealed to me. Like John, I am doing what I can, but I do not know Him. I must ask myself if there are things of which I need to repent, things I need to give up, to put away.

Do I need to be washed with the water of repentance before I am cleansed by the Blood?

No comments: