Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Thursday, August 18, 2016

What I Believe About Evil



And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. -- Romans 8:28


I believe God is in control,
And that He created us in His image and likeness,
With creative imaginations,
Free will and agency,
Able to choose to misuse our gifts and grace,
With limited knowledge and understanding,
So that we have tragedies of ignorance as well as tragedies of wickedness;

Therefore much happens in the world that is not God’s will.

And yet

God does not lament but continues to take the elements of our events,
The broken pieces and spoiled vessels,
Remake and remold them
Into masterpieces of balance, hope, and beauty.

I believe God is in control, and what will be,
I do not know,
But I trust and I hope, and I know
It will be beautiful.

5 comments:

julie said...

Amen, and beautifully said.

John Lien said...

Very nice. Can't disagree with that.

John Lien said...

"God does not lament but continues to take the elements of our events, The broken pieces and spoiled vessels, Remake and remold them Into masterpieces of balance, hope, and beauty. "

That is my hope.

mushroom said...

Mine, too. Thanks, John and Julie.

Unknown said...

I like to join Julie in her amen and heartily concur with the beauty of the captured vision that reveals the beauty of the human soul in her ascendancy to the beautiful one. The bristling heart.