Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The Law to Ban Laws



I’m for a law to ban laws.
We’ve already got so many
It’s hard to keep track of where it’s at
And know if I’ve broken any.
Too often what’s right ain’t legal
And what’s legal too often ain’t right.
Tryin’ and tryin’ to walk the fine line
Could keep a feller up all night.

Through history most ever’thing bad’s been done
Had a law made it legal first.
So breakin’ the law was better
And obeyin’ the law was the worst.

Now that don’t make sense to a simple man
And if I was to make a bet
I’d say them that want to run things
Will make it more confusin’ yet.
For a man who fears foulin’ the law
Ain’t gonna strike no sparks
Lest he be grabbed out of his bed
And hauled away in the dark.

It wouldn’t be the first time such has happened
And if ye think it cain’t happen here
Find ya an old history book
That ain’t been re-writ this year.

Laws like weeds keep spreadin’
Chokin’ out all that is good
And doin’ good’s called evil
And evil is that that ye should.

The laws that’s writ fer lawyers
Would cover acres of land
But the laws that make us decent
Can be writ on the palm of a hand.

So I think we should repeal ‘em all
We could go from scratch again
Instead of thousands of thousands
We could start with, maybe ten.

5 comments:

Allena-C said...

Wow! This is such a wonderful post, Mush, and chock full if wisdom! Thank you!

mushroom said...

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it, my friend.

mushroom said...

And, by the way, I did not find your Walmart story offensive. We love you. You can be yourself. It is cool.

julie said...

Mushroom, I am with you. Ten are more than enough for people to try and get right.

Allena-C said...

Thank tou, Dwayne. I guess I overthought it or something. I was worried about offending someone and distracting from Bob's awesome post.
Plus, I have been very...emotional lately, lol. Much ado about nothing really. :)