Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, August 24, 2015

Pop Culture, Degeneracy, and Duggars



But if you will not do so, behold, you have sinned against the LORD, and be sure your sin will find you out. -- Numbers 32:23


I have a friend who lives down in Arkansas, not too far from where the Duggar clan abides.  I have never watched their “reality” show and really could care less about their lifestyle.  My friend, though, says they have always presented a façade that is, to her, not credible.  She is a lovely, sweet person, but she is almost gloating about their sudden fall. 

One of the memes we see coming out of this from “liberals” claims that having millions of people registered on an adultery site proves that the institution of marriage will not be destroyed by homosexual nuptials.  I have to wonder if they have thought that through.  Perhaps it was making divorce easy and acceptable, coupled with widespread adultery and the resultant de-sanctification of marriage that allows homosexual unions to seem acceptable to some people.  Perhaps our problem is that normal people do not have enough respect for the institution to keep their vows.  The attitude of popular culture toward divorce and adultery along with feminazis equating marriage to slavery has made marriage a joke and homosexual marriage is the natural punch line.    

I don’t have anything against the Duggars, and I have no interest in criticizing or condemning them.   As far as I am concerned, a desire to disconnect and separate from a degenerate popular culture is admirable.  To the extent that the clan does this, I admire them.   I doubt this incident will cause much of a change in their lifestyles.  They will “work through” their issues and tighten the screws down a little tighter, be more “accountable” to one another when it comes to cell phones and internet browsing history while continuing to live in their two-story universe.  They will continue to be better people than I am. 

The greater point is that our sin will find us out, as individuals and as a nation.  It is the nature of violating the rules of reality, of rejecting truth that sooner or later, the consequences must pull us up short, and we are exposed. 

The sad thing is that I never needed a site to help me commit adultery.  I didn’t need pr0n on the internet to be wicked.  I was born this way.  I never cheated on my wife, but it wasn’t because I thought I might get caught.  It was because I knew I was already caught.  I know what Adam found out that first evening after the Fall.  Hiding behind fig leaves or putting my hands over my eyes so I can’t see God does not mean that He can’t see me, that I am not still completely naked and exposed before Him.

I have to ask myself the question, “Boy, who do you think you are fooling?”  It is certainly not God.  In the end, it’s not other people.  It is only myself.  Consider again what the verse says, I am sure that my sin will find me out.    

No comments: