Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, June 15, 2015

Payback



Though you soar aloft like the eagle, though your nest is set among the stars, from there I will bring you down, declares the LORD. -- Obadiah 1:4


Sometimes I get upset about the state of things.  I see what appears to be the triumph of evil, the destruction of traditional institutions, the family and marriage.  Right and wrong are redefined.   Those who have taken power and authority upon themselves, often by deception and subterfuge, appear to have the upper hand. 

I read elsewhere a little while ago where someone thinks that the problem is that the right people are refusing to step up and take charge.  We are allowing ourselves to be led by the deviant, perverted, deluded, and stupid. 

You know what?  Those are the people who want the job.  I don’t.  I don’t know anyone with a lick of sense who would want to take Hillary Clinton’s place on the Democrat ticket.  The reason sex scandals and corruption are so prevalent among politicians is because that’s more or less the kind of mixed up, twisted, sick individual who is desperate enough to run for political office and lie about anything and everything they have ever done. 

Maybe it is just my personality, but I have a hard time believing that a genuinely good person who understands the truth of the Gospel and trusts God really wants to run the lives of other people.  We know there are times when we must help bear another's burden, offer a hand to one who has stumbled on the way.   We do that out of love and concern, but, as soon as they are on their feet, we are happy to see them making their own decisions and living their life as they choose to the fullest.  There is a huge difference between helping a fallen brother stand on his own and wanting to carry him around – or have him carry you.

I am not against Christians stepping into positions of influence or even positions of secular power if they feel they are called to such.  But a person better be sure he or she is called by God.  It is risky business, and the one who puts a foot on that highway must walk in humility.  But I will leave in your midst a people humble and lowly.  They shall seek refuge in the name of the LORDthey shall do no injustice and speak no lies, nor shall there be found in their mouth a deceitful tongue … and none shall make them afraid. (Zephaniah 3:12-13).   

The world looks bad right now.  It may get worse.  What I know is, though, that the arrogant and the deceitful, the faithless and those who turn from God to seek their own ways will be brought down.

You know, they have gone so far as to try rewriting history, to write God out of it.  They are the ones who will be written out, except, perhaps, as a footnote or to illustrate a cautionary tale.  They look big and they fly high, but they are insignificant, and the higher they fly, the farther they must fall.


4 comments:

julie said...

Maybe it is just my personality, but I have a hard time believing that a genuinely good person who understands the truth of the Gospel and trusts God really wants to run the lives of other people.

I'm with you, there. If I ruled the world, I think I'd provide everyone with a list of ten or so simple rules to live by, and then stay out of the way while they sorted it all out. I really can't improve on what God already said.

mushroom said...

I can imagine your inaugural. "If you look around your house, you will probably find an old book that is not excessively worn. These ten simple rules are in it, near the front."

You have my vote.

John Lien said...

Mine as well. With a country this large and powerful, only those who shouldn't seek power. Not exactly sure what the right sized political unit is. I like counties. But even at that level, those who seek to be on the board, some are ok and some are jerks.

mushroom said...

It's a lot easier to move across the county line.