Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Revelation Reflects

Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek the face of the God of Jacob. Selah -- Psalm 24:6

[I]t is evident that man never attains to a true self-knowledge until he [has] previously contemplated the face of God, and come down after such contemplation to look into himself. For (such is our innate pride) we always seem to ourselves just, and upright, and wise, and holy, until we are convinced, by clear evidence, of our injustice, vileness, folly, and impurity. Convinced, however, we are not, if we look to ourselves only, and not to the Lord also —He being the only standard by the application of which this conviction can be produced. For, since we are all naturally prone to hypocrisy, any empty semblance of righteousness is quite enough to satisfy us instead of righteousness itself. And since nothing appears within us or around us that is not tainted with very great impurity, so long as we keep our mind within the confines of human pollution, anything which is in some small degree less defiled delights us as if it were most pure just as an eye, to which nothing but black had been previously presented, deems an object of a whitish, or even of a brownish hue, to be perfectly white. – John Calvin, Institutes, Book One, Chapter 1

It's a little known fact among Star Wars insiders that Yoda learned English from reading a translation of The Institutes of the Christian ReligionConvinced, however, we are not.

We will never know ourselves until we know God.  We are not going to find the answer to who we are and why we are here by following the crowd.  Our parents may not be able to help us.  Education seems unlikely to enlighten us.  Sometimes, though, God does put someone in authority over us – father, mother, a teacher, coach, scout leader, or a pastor – to give us a word and direction from Him.  We would probably see it more if we were more open to the idea of the one-story universe, as expressed so well by Father Stephen.   

The mistake I have often made – and it’s not that I made it more early in my walk, I’m still doing it – is to seek the Lord primarily through the written revelation of the Bible.  For me, personally, studying the Bible is something I depend on to keep me more in tune -- poor instrument that I am.  While reading the Bible may be the best way for a lot of us to seek and to know Christ, it's not the only way to see Him. 

Prayer is another vital discipline in our search.  Some of our time in prayer should be given over to listening rather than speaking.  I sometimes get the feeling that God would like for me to shut up long enough for Him to answer one or two of my many questions, complaints and rants. 

We might expect to hear from the Lord in the priest’s homily or the teacher’s lesson, but we might be more surprised to find Him in a poem, a piece of music, a work of art, a scene in a movie, a science fiction novel, or some vista of nature.  My cousin’s late wife loved going to the Grand Canyon.  For her -- a simple, devout country Baptist woman, it revealed a facet of the Divine she didn’t often catch in her pastor’s Sunday sermons. 

God may disclose Himself to us in what some might consider the unlikeliest of ways.  I am convinced that He may be seen through the creatures He gives into our care.  I know we can see Him through our relationships, through achievements, failures, challenges, and trials in our lives, through the things we gain and the things we lose, through our hopes, dreams, desires, likes, and dislikes.  There is one thing we may be sure of, when we seek the Lord, He has promised that we will find Him.  You came near when I called on you; you said, Do not fear! (Lamentations 3:57); Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you (James 4:8); Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart (Psalm 119:2).

In finding Him, I will find my true self and my true destiny.  I know that I often reference this verse, but it so often seems to bear repeating, so, with a little emphasis:  Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is (1 John 3:2).

8 comments:

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

"We might expect to hear from the Lord in the priest’s homily or the teacher’s lesson, but we might be more surprised to find Him in a poem, a piece of music, a work of art, a scene in a movie, a science fiction novel, or some vista of nature."

Aye! It truly is amazing all the ways God speaks to us.
Even in places one might never expect, as long as we seek we will find Him.
I like how you added that we should listen to God as well.

Purty hard to listen when I'm talkin'. Over the years my prayers have changed. I often take short or long breaks when I pray to listen.

Used to be I would say the entire prayer and then listen, or forget to listen and go about doing something else.

My Grandpa used to say "just talk to God like you would talk to me, but make sure you let him get a word in edgewise."
Then he would laugh that deep, jolly laugh of his. :)

My Grandma would say, "you never know how God will talk to you or who or what He will use to help you but you'll know it when it happens if you love Him. And if you love love Him you will wAit as long as it takes. Be sure to have a thankful heart too. If you don't feel thankful, ask Him to soften your heart."
Then she would smile and give me a hug. :)

They said many more things, and, sadly, I haven't always listened to their wisdom but I know they were telling me the truth.

Anyways, your post today reminded me of them so thank you, Mushroom.
God has spoken through your post! :)

John Lien said...

Good post Mush.

God may disclose Himself to us in what some might consider the unlikeliest of ways...

Yup, it's an inclination of the will towards God that does it. Or in other words, loving God. Then he shows up everywhere, all things become lessons.

Works both ways, you can read the Bible with your will pointing the other direction and all you see is bloodshed, slavery, backwards people saying the strangest things and contradiction stacked upon contratiction.

Rick said...

"While reading the Bible may be the best way for a lot of us to seek and to know Christ, it's not the only way to see Him... Prayer is another..."

I think Schuon would say reading the Bible is also a form of prayer:

http://youtu.be/0s2H0ScJSMY

mushroom said...

Good stuff, gentlemen. Thank you all.

mushroom said...

Ben, your grandmother, like mine, was a wise woman. Thank God for them.

...all you see is bloodshed, slavery, backwards people saying the strangest things and contradiction stacked upon contratiction

Good point, John. It never ceases to amaze me.

Rick, that's true. Thanks for the link. Can you believe the Schuon video had five dislikes?

Rick said...

The truth burns.

John Lien said...

Thanks for sharing that video again Rick. I'm saving that in my favorites. Just started "Schuon for Dummies" or whatever it is calle -the intro book that Bob recommends.

Schuon looks very much like an aged version of my daughter's boyfriend. It's very odd when he comes to visit.

Rick said...

My pleasure, John. There are a few other Schuon videos on youtube. Wish there were more.

I had sent the prayer one to my son a few months ago and to prepare him for the clothing and so forth I said Schuon was sort of like Gandalf. Except for real.