Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, March 10, 2014

A Fair Trial



The Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him. – John 5:22-23


I have the highest regard for the Gospel of John, and every time I read it my wonder grows.  I wish I could memorize the whole thing.  I may try it, print myself out a copy from the KJV and carry it around.

Meanwhile, I read this yesterday and started thinking about what’s really happening.  Let’s go a little further down and look at verse 27:  And he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man.  Jesus is given authority to judge that He might be honored as the Father is honored, but also because He is the Son of Man.  Then in verse 30, He says, I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me.  The third reason Jesus has been appointed to judge is because He is not a referee with an agenda.  He is seeking the Father’s will in all things. 

Jesus is our Mediator, the … one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus (1 Timothy 2:25).  It is because of His Incarnation, because the Word became flesh, that Jesus is able to righteously and effectively judge us.  This is a powerful revelation for those of us who feel alienated and distant from the One, who feel misunderstood, who might think that God is indifferent to the suffering and trials of the meat-bound. 

Our Judge is one of us.

And He is no ordinary man, for He has laid down His life, surrendering to the pain of the cross, the burden of our sins, and the darkness and separation from the Father brought about by sin and death.  He did it out of love for us.  I stand before Him to give account for what I say and do.  Whatever the outcome, it will be more than fair.    

No comments: