Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Run On

Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. -- Hebrews 12:3

As we have said before, it ought to be that when we do the right thing, take the right path, repent, or resolve then things ought to go well for us.  People ought to see that we are doing good or trying to do better and give us support and encouragement, or, at least, not attack us.  It doesn't always happen that way.  There are the Barnabas people out there -- the sons of encouragement who will help us and root for us, and thank God for them.  But a lot of people will be negative and hostile.

We have to expect that.  If we are walking the strait and narrow road, we have to stay on it regardless of opposition and discouragement.  Somebody is going to misunderstand.  Another will be offended.  Others may try to "help" us by telling us that if we were on the right road, it would not be so rough, better take the detour.  No.  

Do you know why they call it the Indianapolis 500?  The guy who is ahead after the first lap may not even be on the track for the 500th lap.  The 24 hours of Le Mans is a lot different than the 24 minutes of Lamar.  Do you know that no one ever won a marathon by being the first runner to complete 26 miles?  You have to run another 385 yards to the finish.

Personally, this is a problem I have.  I want to quit because I'm tired.  I don't seem to be accomplishing much.  I did my part back in '88 or '98 or '08, and I want to call it "good".  But I can't.  I have to keep going.  That's the bad news.

The good news is that tomorrow may not be as tough as today.  Some days you can win just by showing up.  Sometimes the victory is to keep moving. 

The Lord does not expect us to go on without rest and relief and refreshment.  He has rewards for us along the way.  For people like me who have a tendency toward depression, it is important to remember that every day is not the same.  I feel that way sometimes when I get stressed and sleep-deprived -- that it will never change, that the nightmare will never end. 

It does.  My Father has been good to me in so many ways, so many times.  I do get a break now and then before I break.  It could happen today.  Carry on.

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.  (1 Corinthians 10:13) 

6 comments:

John Lien said...

We have to expect that. If we are walking the strait and narrow road, we have to stay on it regardless of opposition and discouragement.

Plod on Bro. I'll plod along beside you.

Maybe it's the time of year or maybe it's the time of man.

mushroom said...

Company is always welcome.

Rick said...

This always cheers me up:

“The reflections upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in.”
~ General George Washington, January 14, 1776

mushroom said...

Yes, many defeats lay between him there and Yorktown.

julie said...

I feel that way sometimes when I get stressed and sleep-deprived -- that it will never change, that the nightmare will never end.

I have to remind myself, on days like that (or even just hours or minutes that feel like days), that this, too, shall pass. And eventually, there will be some other challenge which feels like an eternal struggle (but has probably only been going on for a very brief time), and whatever the trouble of the moment is will fade into the mists of memory, having proven to be little more than a teapot tempest.

mushroom said...

I work long hours sometimes, but it's nothing like the responsibility, time and effort in raising two little ones. Joy and sleep-deprivation kind of run together, I would think. :)