Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Friday, June 7, 2013

Halfway



For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. -- Titus 3:3


Apart from the grace of God in Christ, that’s how the world operates.  In fact, that’s how you define the world.  This is not to say there are not nice people who are non-Christians of one form or another, but the system itself is motivated by the corrupted nature.  From war and violence to advertising and consumerism, “passions and pleasures”, revenge and retribution, and arrogance and avarice are the drivers for what we have to deal with in the world. 

I am a tired old man who works too many hours and worries too much about money.  I am too short-tempered and too impatient because it is too easy to forget heaven and eternity when dealing with time and earth day in and day out.  Is there an app for that?  Why, yes, there is:

But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.  (Titus 3:4-7)

In the world we are, as Yoda might say, but of the world not we are.  The Israelites had the same struggle when they left Egypt.  Slave mentality is both pervasive and, in some ways, comforting.  It is harder to live in freedom than the average person might think.  People tend to exchange one form of bondage for another.  Free a person from financial worries, and he may become addicted to drink or drugs or debauchery.  It almost seems as though most don’t really want liberty but license, the freedom to pick out a nice set of shackles. 

We talk a lot about illusion versus reality, and I probably ought to talk more about what is versus what ought to be.  “Ought to be” is a trap, a labyrinth built, not to be solved but to imprison us in busyness.   We cannot beat the world at its game because we lose just by trying to play it.  Well, maybe we can play, but we have to play at a different level.

What I do for a living is really, in light of not only eternity but of the realities of life for most people, pretty trivial.  But I take it very seriously.  Getting that paycheck requires me to take it seriously, but I rarely think of that when I’m up all night or working on a weekend.  I think instead of the people who are depending on me.  I can get another job, or I could retire and live a little more lightly – whatever God has for me.  Other people, though, have their futures and their self-worth tied up in “the company” and worldly measures of success.  This is sad, and they will eventually discover the emptiness and pointlessness of such an approach.  It’s not my place to disappoint or disillusion them.  I like most of the people I deal with; some I don’t.  However, I owe all of them the best that I can do. 

That what Paul means in Romans 13:8 when he says, “Owe no man anything, except to love one another ….”  It’s not just a good idea; it’s the law.  God’s law says that I am responsible for my wife, my family, my neighbors, my friends – everybody.  I’m not responsible for their actions or choices, of course, but I am required to love them, no matter who they are.  To the extent that it is up to me, I must seek and support what is in the best interests of those in my sphere.  Thus, it quickly becomes obvious that harming others by violence, theft, betrayal, or deception is not acceptable.  (See Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5 for a few prominent examples.)  Verse 7 of Romans 13 says, “Pay to all what is owed them …” – even in worldly terms – effort, time, obedience, taxes, respect, honor, etc.  We are the agents of God’s grace.  Our job is to express the goodness and kindness we have received in Christ to those around us where they are. 

People will take advantage of our love.  We will get shoved aside, ignored, overworked, put upon, run over.  Often it will be those closest to us who treat us the worst because they have never known anything else, or they have forgotten what they did know.  Or they are human.  There are occasions when someone can be helped only by a punch in the face or a swift kick in the butt.  Pay to all what is owed them.  These are very rare occasions.  God will write it on the wall.  Ninety-nine point nine-nine percent of the time, we can figure the idea of a butt-kicking is our own.   

It’s the kingdom against the world.  There’s a town up the road a ways called Halfway.  It’s a good hillbilly name because it’s halfway between two other towns.  The thing is that the folks in Halfway don’t live in either one of those two towns.  While there is no Halfway situated on the road between God and Mammon, even if there were, it still would be Halfway, not God.  I know a lot of people who live in Halfway and visit Mammon on Saturday night then go over and visit God on Sunday morning.  We don’t want to do that, so we have to live the kingdom way, entirely over in the kingdom.  We have to be motivated by love.  We don’t have to like, agree with, enable, or be controlled by other people to want what is best for them rather than simply want our own way. 

We may not be able to say this out loud, but sometimes when I’m dealing with someone who thinks they are making me do something (nothing is more irritating to my people), I will have enough presence of mind to think or whisper, “I’m doing this out of love for Your child, Lord, and out of love and obedience to You.”  Then I grit my teeth, bite my tongue and bow.   

(Update:  Bob asks a very good question: 

But, how is it in that person's best interest for you to bow? If the person is trying to pull a fast one, it is in his best interest for you not to let him get away with it! If you don't stand up to him, he will continue to bring harm to other people.

Earlier in your piece you spoke out against bondage, but at the end you appear to be endorsing bondage.

See my comment below)

3 comments:

Bob's Blog said...

But, how is it in that person's best interest for you to bow? If the person is trying to pull a fast one, it is in his best interest for you not to let him get away with it! If you don't stand up to him, he will continue to bring harm to other people.

Earlier in your piece you spoke out against bondage, but at the end you appear to be endorsing bondage.

Excerpted and linked to you here: http://bobagard.blogspot.com/2013/06/grit-my-teeth-bite-my-tongue-and-bow.html

mushroom said...

I'm supposed to be -- as Paul puts it -- a willing bond-servant of the Lord. I'm not bowing to the other person but to Christ.

I'm cultivating meekness and humility on my part which is why God, by His sovereign grace, sends this particular human agent into my life. There has to be faith on my part that my willingness to serve will work for the good of the person -- again by God's grace and wisdom.

My grandkids "oppress" me all the time, but they know that if I step back into "authority" mode they had better pay attention to what Poppy says. I do whatever they want, willingly serving them because I love them, unless, as a wiser father figure, I see that it would not be good or safe or otherwise beneficial for them.

Jesus said we can't just limit that kind of thinking to our families, or maybe a better way to look at it is to say that our families can't be limited just by genetics.

I agree with you, and I hit that point a a little, that sometimes you have to check the oppressive tendencies of others. But I have to make sure I'm doing it because it really is counter to what is in their best interest and not just because it is uncomfortable or inconvenient for me.

Does that make more sense? Or any sense?

Bob's Blog said...

Yes, thank you.