Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Caught in the Slipstream



In the abundance of your trade you were filled with violence in your midst, and you sinned; so I cast you as a profane thing from the mountain of God, and I destroyed you, O guardian cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.  Your heart was proud because of your beauty; you corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor.  I cast you to the ground; I exposed you before kings, to feast their eyes on you. – Ezekiel 28:16-17
You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’  But you are brought down to Sheol, to the far reaches of the pit. – Isaiah 14:13-15


These verses are taken from two passages that are referring to prophesied judgment upon Tyre and Babylon respective.  Many, though, interpret these passages as being indirect references to Lucifer/Satan.  Isaiah uses the phrase “Day Star, son of Dawn” (v.12) in his prophecy, and Ezekiel speaks of the person addressed as being “the guardian cherub” (KJV says famously, “the anointed cherub that covereth”).  It is rather impressive language even for the earthly potentates of the time. 

Pride – that frightening word the Greeks gave us – hubris leads to destruction. 

It seems to me, if one wanted to be god-like, he would need to be very, very good.  Being good implies meekness (strength under control), gentleness, kindness, mercy, and humility.  Can I be as good as God?  I can try.  I should try.  But, no, I cannot.  For most of us, this realization helps to humble us.  We become more understanding, more merciful to others, less prone to condemn. 

Others think differently.  They exalt themselves, forgetting or ignoring Jesus’ own statement that those who exalt themselves will be humbled.  Faced with obvious imperfections, failings, and inadequacies, they project, blame, and deny.  Unwilling to acknowledge the old fallen nature and unable to accept their own limitations, these people become more and more corrupted.  They become dangerous and destructive. 

They cannot create.  They can choose to destroy.  Failing at goodness, they can embrace evil.  If they cannot beat God at goodness, certainly they should be able perfect wickedness.  Right?  I suppose it would be funny if it did not, all too often, end in death and horror.  I suppose it would seem more just if they did not, all too often, drag down so many innocents in the slipstream of their fall.

3 comments:

John Lien said...

"For most of us, this realization helps to humble us. We become more understanding, more merciful to others, less prone to condemn."

That's a great point, Mush.

Also, I have only recently learned what meek really means.

MEEK > COOL.

I wanna be meek, the meekest! And humble, the humblest! Oh, wait, that kind of thinking ain't gonna work. Hmmm, seems there is some sort of protective feedback loop at work here.

mushroom said...

It's like "Lord, give me patience. And give it to me right now!"

Bob's Blog said...

Taken to the extreme, they become members of the Westboro Baptist Church: http://bobagard.blogspot.com/2012/12/so-you-think-you-know-god.html