Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Is Jesus Among the Guardians?



And Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor, except in his hometown and among his relatives and in his own household.”  And he could do no mighty work there, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and healed them.  And he marveled because of their unbelief. – Mark 6:4-6

Friday night my older granddaughter wanted us all to go to the movies, which seemed like a nice way to continue hanging out together.  The two granddaughters, 17 and 12, wanted to see the Shiny Vampire and, as the 12-year-old put it, the Hot Werewolf.  I drew the line at this for a couple of reasons:  estrogen and testosterone.  I don’t have much of the former, and I like having the latter, plus I have two grandsons, 9 and 2-point-something.  I would rather they did not develop boobs.  Fortunately, theaters now have multiple screens, and The Rise of the Guardians was playing.

Though I was a little wary about a movie that included the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny, in the end I concluded that, like voting Republican, it was the least of possible evils.  Armed with a soda and a popcorn (note the singular) for the modest sum of $12, we ventured into the vestibule of dreams with its sloping floor that always reminds me vaguely of a slaughterhouse, especially when it is stick-slick with spilled beverages and squashed food products. 

Two-Point-Something covered his eyes during the Coming Attractions, and I began to fear that he would freak out on me.  Fortunately as the feature began, he became fixated and quiet, moving only to get better access to that gold-dusted popcorn, and even then  he continued to watch the action with great interest. 

The Guardians, initially the Sandman, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, represent aspects of human existence, especially those prominent in childhood – or in childlikeness.  At one point Santa talks about his center being wonder.  The Tooth Fairy, we come to see, represents individual memories, our roots, so to speak.  The Sandman is the maker of dreams.  The Easter Bunny, not surprisingly, brings new beginnings and hope.  Both Santa and the Easter Bunny have, through their respective holidays, a Christian connection.  But it is Sandy the Sandman – in many ways the most appealing character – who seems to have the most power.  I don’t want to go into the plot in detail, but viewers will see the Sandman become Christ-like as he battles darkness and evil. 

Faith is key to the plot of Guardians.  I was a little bothered by the way it is handled – disneyfied, veering in the direction of a Tinkerbelle-resurrection kind of clap-your-hands believism.  Still, it is a children’s movie; I can’t be too critical.  Lack of belief makes the Guardians themselves less real and limits their power.  Faith in them literally gives them substance.  On the surface, this is not altogether unlike what happened to Jesus in His hometown of Nazareth.  God, however, does not lose any of His reality or power because we lose faith.  Instead, it is the unbeliever who becomes less substantial, who loses access to the Source of life and truth.  But the Guardians, of course, are not gods, not even lesser gods.  They are archetypes and messengers only.  I seriously doubt that any of this even crossed the minds of the Dreamworks crew that put this film together.  They were just trying to tell a good story – and I think they succeeded.  A good story always taps into truth. 

I haven’t even mentioned the main protagonist, Jack Frost, whom we watch develop as a character when the Guardians’ conflict with darkness requires him to be added to their number.  Viewers will like Jack.  Raccoons, especially, will recognize that Jack is Slack, the bringer of Snow Days, the Angel, one might say, of Recreation.  As such, there is some territorial abrasion between Jack and the Easter Bunny, that agent of Rebirth -- something, we learn, that Jack has experienced. 

Obviously, a lot of the plot is predictable but it is all fun.  There are a number of laugh-out-loud slapstick and visual gag scenes.  The animation is so good that it goes unnoticed except for the occasional “wow” that it elicits.  Most of the adult viewers will laugh hardest at the yetis and elves and the magnificent sled scene.  Everybody will wonder at the Easter Bunny’s Warren and will be delighted when the Guardians join in to help out the Tooth Fairy.  It’s an entertaining movie with an old-time Disney touch or two, and all of it springing up from our collective “true mythology”, as Lewis might call it.   

12 comments:

julie said...

Interesting. I was all set to assume that one would be a stinker. Guess I'll have to watch out for it when it comes up on TV.

Also, I'm impressed that you were brave enough to take a 2.something to a movie; I haven't tried that with mine yet...

mushroom said...

The report was that M. had never made it more than about fifteen minutes through a movie at the theater. It was a calculated risk. Having his older cousin, B., along was a big help. They do well together.

This is not Toy Story or Up. It's a tier or two down from that. But it's as much fun as the first Cars, and it has more substance. I'll have to see it again, but I could end up classing it with The Incredibles. Some of that might be from seeing it on the big screen which gives more spectacle.

John Lien said...

"It’s an entertaining movie with...all of it springing up from our collective “true mythology”, as Lewis might call it. "

I checked out the trailer based on your review. Looks pretty good. However, I never tire of the good versus evil struggles and mythological heros. No "My Dinner with Andre" for me, bub.

I like how the Truth leaks out in all kinds of places, whether intentional or not. Have you seen the first Hellboy? I love that movie for its religious message as much as anything.

mushroom said...

No, I haven't, which is odd since I've been a fan of Ron Perlman since Quest for Fire. I'll have to check that out.

robinstarfish said...

I would not have thought to apply Raccoon-Vision to the Guardians. Who knew?

I always enjoy reviews that drive from a spiritual foundation. They add the missing dimension to movies that the typical reviewer does not have the capacity to even imagine, let alone have any interest in. So keep those reviews coming. :-)

It's why I still like Joe Versus the Volcano in spite of the trashing it got from critics.

mushroom said...

There's a lot of personal variation. There's a reason for cult classics. Maybe because of our life experiences we can relate to a movie that won't connect with the average critic. Somebody who follows his or her artistic vision stands a good chance of alienating a big chunk of folks that just will never get it.

Rick said...

When I caught an announcement of this movie I thought it was a sequel to another movie with, I thought, the same title but the main characters were owls..threw me off.
Thanks to your review I checked out the trailers for it. Nice idea. Can't recall anything like it.

Weird thing though, and it could just be my eyes going on me, but does Father Christmas have tattoos on his arms? (the full, very filled-in arm variety so popular now. I think they call them sleeve tattoos) If so, do they "explain" this in the movie for the audience of kiddies' sake? This may be "out of place" to do so in this kind of movie, but then again it seems like a subject in need of explanation to children (explanation from a Christian perspective) since they are immersed in this cultural phenomenon as children (as opposed to us who were children before this new/old obsession went wild). What do they think? Do they even notice that Santa has tattoos?

mushroom said...

Yes, Santa is does have tattoos. He's "North". He reminds me of co-worker up in Cleveland who is a Russian. No, there is no explanation of the tattoos, and I don't think the kids noticed. I found them a little off-putting at first, but they do seem to go with character.

The Guardians didn't start out as immortal beings. Jack was human and retains some of his old nature. It's possible that the same is true for Santa. You have to imagine a Northern European rogue with a heart of gold back in the Dark Ages, a Cossack maybe -- guys who were Hells Angels on horseback. That's how the character comes across.

There was an owl movie, and it maybe have been the Guardians, I kind of remember that -- I don't think I actually saw it.

Rick said...

Ah.
My wife Googled this this weekend when we were talking about it and she caught a review (by a blogger I think) that mentioned the tattoos. Someone commented to it that the movie was based on a book or books and in those they explain the tattoos. It seems before he became Santa he was a pirate... then changed his ways. I suppose the opposite of pirate is Santa -- taker vs giver of gifts. Sort of a Saul/Paul conversion maybe.

Where this tattoo business (the current phenomenon) lies on the great scale of good or bad, I don't know. My personal opinion is it's fairly low important kind of sin. In other words, one can do a lot worse. From 30,000 feet it just seems fascinating. Why now? Why so much? I have my one or two theories as to why it's taking place. But one thing seems for certain, the people getting them really really really REALLY want to tell me (us) something with them. Tattoos are symbols and they stand for things. They stand for meaning. And I don't think they have to simply stand for the pictures they happen to look like. Ironically (being symbols which live on ones surface).

So I see the tattoos on Santa and I think he's the last person I might expect to see them on...what are they trying to tell me..?

mushroom said...

Pirates. I should have thought of that. Ben -- as well as my wife's uncles -- would have put that together immediately.

Having dealt, in my sadly misspent youth, with prisoners up-close and personal, their tattoos were exactly that. A spiderweb tattoo on the elbow had a concentric strand added for each year in the lockup. "White Power" tattoos were self-explanatory. They all said that a person was part of this tribe or that group or did certain things.

Now it's not just bizarre ink but weird self-mutilation, with the plugs that expand the earlobes and all that. A couple of years ago, I was standing in line at an amusement park behind a group that had multiple piercing. One guy had his lips, nose, eyebrows, ears full of so much metal that I turned to my granddaughter and joked about asking him if he got good FM reception. She suggested that I not do that.

The body is not the temple to these folks. It's a graffiti-covered wall on an abandoned factory.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye. Thank you very much.

mushroom said...

Thanks for all the fish.