Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, August 13, 2012

Why Does It Always Have to be Snakes?


The Lord said to him, “What is that in your hand?” He said, “A staff.”  And he said, “Throw it on the ground.” So he threw it on the ground, and it became a serpent, and Moses ran from it.  But the Lord said to Moses, “Put out your hand and catch it by the tail”—so he put out his hand and caught it, and it became a staff in his hand.  Exodus 4:2-4

For we all stumble in many ways, and if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.   If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well.   Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs.  

… How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire!   And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life,  and set on fire by hell.   For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind,  but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. – James 3:2-8 (emphasis added)

Moses was supposed to speak on God’s authority, for God to the people of Israel.  In order to establish his credentials, the simple shepherd’s staff that Moses carried became a symbol of divine office as well as a key for unveiling the supernatural reality.  Moses raised his staff at the Red Sea and the waters parted.  Moses struck a dry rock and a spring of water was released.  When he confronted Pharaoh, initially, Moses cast down his staff and it became a snake, as had happened in the desert.  The Egyptian court magicians could do the same thing – a pretty neat trick, we must admit, but the serpent of Moses swallowed up the other snakes, indicating the superiority of power and position that had been given to him. 

The shepherd’s staff is a means of guiding and defending the flock and, as such, it is a natural symbol of authority.   As the staff is used to guide a flock, a bridle and bit can be used to guide a horse and a rudder can guide a ship.  Relative to what they are guiding, staffs, rudders, and bits are small, yet their effects can be impressive.  So, too, the human tongue, though a diminutive organ, could be considered not only the most powerful muscle in the body but the most potent force on the face of the earth.  Words have destroyed countless lives, even whole civilizations.  But, of course, words also create beauty and give life.  Words can release us from bondage, inspire and empower us. 

I find it thought-provoking that when the staff of Moses came in contact with the ground, it became a serpent – the wisdom and authority of God is seen by those who oppose it as cunning.  Jesus told us to be wise as serpents though harmless as doves.  It can be scary.  Moses ran from it.  Most of us, when God breaks into our natural world and disturbs our perceptions of reality, are uncomfortable if not terrified. 

What we say can have a powerful impact on ourselves as well as those around us.  The proverb says that life and death are in the power of the tongue.  I am, more often than not, far too hasty in speaking, too concerned with being clever or witty to take into account the consequences of my words.  It is easy to insult and ridicule others.  Levity and humor are good things, especially when they arise from our joy in life.  Laughter is beneficial, and we should have opportunities to laugh everyday.   Keep in mind, though, that sarcasm means to cut the flesh.  It can be used wisely, but never should it be used indiscriminately.  Mockery is a blade that cuts both ways and may be as devastating to the mocker as to the one mocked. 

If I hurt someone it is not a joke, no matter what I claim – and that is especially true if I mean for it to hurt. 

Christ dwells in us.  We have authority as believers.  In fact, I think we wield that authority whether we know it or not.  I have been listening to an audio version of the James Allen classic As A Man Thinketh. While it has a sort of new-agey vibe to it, Allen was much closer to the biblical view than most modern purveyors of stuff like The Secret.  All he is really saying is that our thoughts and our words are the seeds of habits and character.  Our lives are like gardens that grow what we plant.  We should be careful what we sow. 

It’s hard, but I really want more of God and less of me to be manifest in my life and circumstances.  We can think God’s thoughts after Him and speak the words Christ would speak.  There will still be plenty to laugh at – just laughing at myself will keep me in stitches.  There’s no need to throw my tongue on the ground just for entertainment, just to look cool or to be ever so snide.  If I’m not following the rules, when I try to pick it up by the tail, I may end up bitten myself.

4 comments:

John Lien said...

"All he is really saying is that our thoughts and our words are the seeds of habits and character"

Yes to that! And no, I am not in control of my thoughts or words. But I'm aware of the problem and that's a start.

I had to realize that, though not material, thoughts are part of the cosmos and generating bad thoughts is, well, polluting the neigborhood.

Well, at least I think that's the case.

John Lien said...

"We can think God’s thoughts after Him and speak the words Christ would speak. There will still be plenty to laugh at."

Amen to that as well. As a recovering smart ass I have to agree it is easy to be funny/cruel just plain funny, much harder.

It goes back to fear of losing the old self. Gotta have faith the new model will be an improvement.

mushroom said...

I know what you mean about that. I was kind of a backward child -- as the folks always said. It led to me being the target of a lot of taunts and barbs. For various reasons, I had a rather abrupt personality change at about sixteen, and I began to give way better than I got. It was nice to put some people in their place, but I liked that cruel-funny a little too much.

Rick said...

I always enjoy your jokes, Mush. The intertubes is great, but you can't see us loling. I think I remember the first joke you told at OC. Well, I credit you for it anyway. You said it better than I can, but it went something like this: throw a stone into a flock of pigs and the one that squeals is the one you hit.

God didn't tell Moses to kill the snake, just to control it. Because words can do much good, as you say.