Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Don't Ever Be a Rocket Man

While Fahrenheit 451 is probably Bradbury’s best-known work, my favorite volume is The Illustrated Man, a collection of eighteen classic short stories.   Bradbury deals with a range of subjects from time travel in “The Fox and the Forest” to work and family life in “The Rocket Man” to the projected results of an alien invasion in “The Concrete Mixer”, from racism in “The Other Foot” to Christianity in “The Man” and “The Fire Balloons”. 

A common description of Bradbury’s prose is that it is lyrical, and that is true enough.  It is also deceptively light and simple.  Rarely does he slap the reader’s face with a point or a mood or an emotion.  Here is an excerpt from “The Rocket Man”:  

“Let’s hear it,” he said at last.

And I know that now we would talk, as we always talked, for three hours straight.  All afternoon we would murmur back and forth in the lazy sun about my school grades, how high I could jump, how fast I could swim. 

Dad nodded each time I spoke and smiled and slapped my chest lightly in approval.  We talked.  We did not talk of rockets or space, but we talked of Mexico, where we had driven once in an ancient car, and of the butterflies we had caught in the rain forests of green warm Mexico at noon, seeing the hundred butterflies sucked into our radiator, dying there, beating their blue and crimson wings, twitching, beautiful and sad.  We talked of such things instead of the things I wanted to talk about.  And he listened to me.  That was the thing he did, as if he was trying to fill himself up with all the sound he could hear.  He listened to the wind and the falling ocean and my voice, always with rapt attention, a concentration that almost excluded physical bodies themselves and kept only the sounds.  He shut his eyes to listen.  I would see him listening to the lawn mower as he cut the grass by hand instead of using the remote-control device, and I would see him smelling the cut grass as it sprayed up at him behind the mower in a green fount. 

“Doug,” he said about five in the afternoon, as we were picking up our towels and heading back along the beach near the surf, “I want you to promise me something.”

“What?”

“Don’t ever be a Rocket Man.”

That is the way it is done.  A father and son are together on the beach, talking, remembering, and a specific memory is drawn up and presented so lividly.  There is the bittersweet beauty of the butterflies and death, evoking and foreshadowing.  Anyone who ever had a parent whose job took them away, or any parent who ever had such an occupation can identify.  Son, don't ever be a pilot, a sailor, a commercial fisherman, a truck driver.  Don't let your work become your life and try to hold onto your family in bits and bites.  Don't become consumed by the road or the sea, the rails or even the keyboard.  It will end before you expect it, and it will all be gone, like the butterflies crossing the road. glimpsed only as it is lost, dying and fading away.  It may not end in physical death and separation.  Nevertheless, the lost youth of the parent, the lost childhood will vanish away.  Quality is good, but it only makes the missed time more poignant.  

3 comments:

Bob's Blog said...

Beautiful and true. Thank you!

Rick said...

Ah, I wished I'd know Mr Bradbury a bit better. I'm going to guess by this piece (I like it very much) he was or would have been a Nick Adams Stories fan.
And yes, don't be a rocket man is hitting me in the chest so often lately; with the boy our only child finishing his first year of college. I don't know what I'd have done differently other than spend more time with him, but we have and still do spend a lot together. It would just be more but not help the loss, you see? What I want is a time machine and then to destroy it once I got back. Not to undo things, but to be back there again. But that would also not be the way of the world. So, instead, we write...
Thanks, Mush. Fine tribute.

Rick said...

Oh, one other thing, when you say, "Rarely does he slap the reader’s face with a point or a mood or an emotion."

I don't know if you've watched it but the TV series Mad Men is like this. It is very well written, and for those reasons. So often things occur to me about the show, connections, layers, much later on, when I'm not even thinking about the show. Which is the best kind. The writing is very precise too. Hardly matters what the story is about at that point.
It has many other good qualities too. Non-stereotyped characters, visually stunning sets and color, etc., and there's even a guy who is writing science fiction on the side.