Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Running from the Reaper

This was inspired by Julie's comment on OC yesterday: "I'll bet that's at least part of William's obsession with competitive running: he thinks he can outrun the reaper."

I try to outrun the Reaper,
But the trail is getting steeper,
And my will is getting weaker.
I can almost feel that Creeper
Creeping up on me.

Every year’s another weight,
Shorten my stride, slow my gait.
Does the Reaper lie in wait
Somewhere ahead of me?

I keep running to advance,
But here comes the avalanche!
That’s the end of this square dance.
Looks like the Reaper is ahead of me.

The stones are rolling down
As I hear the mournful sound
Of death rising all around.
Looks like the Reaper has surrounded me.

There’s no more room to run.
Nothing new under the sun.
Now my final race is done.
This is the one the Reaper won,
And he lays his cold hands on me.

11 comments:

julie said...

!

:D

Good one, Mushroom. Funny thing is, the reaper catches us all in his own time, whether we flee or dawdle. Being overly afraid just means you miss out on the living you ought to be doing instead.

mushroom said...

You're right. It's far better to learn to live each day in wholeness than to fret over maximizing the number of days.

robinstarfish said...

Ecclesiastical.

mushroom said...

Some of the old Byrds might make a song out of it.

Rick said...

Good one, Mush. Snappy tune.
Never could figure out why it's important to have more days or more of any thing else for this or that matter if it's all meaningless. Then again, I never could understand William-speak.

Rick said...

I remember my dad telling me a couple of times that he thought a person only gets so many heart beats. I may have mentioned it.
I told him I don't know what that means.

Very recent very shocker was dad told me he doesn't believe in God. Shocker because I'd never have made that guess. Seems I should do something about it. Something. Just haven't figured out what.

mushroom said...

It's a difficult situation. The best thing, which sounds cliched, is to pray. That's what I'll be doing.

I would even go so far as to suggest that he may have told you that so that you might pray for him.

I am guessing that he is not the kind of person who has rejected God, but rather someone who is very practical and honestly just does not see it. Many people are simply cultural Christians, and a lot of the trappings and language associated with religion, e.g., "Holy Ghost", is difficult for a canny Yankee to accept.

Rick said...

That's good advice, Mush. Thank you. It seems a sin to not do anything. To leave him like that. You might be right about him wanting me to pray for him. Perhaps it would help if I told him I will.

julie said...

It does seem like good advice. That's what I do - the praying, I mean. Depending on the person I don't usually tell them, but under the right circumstances it probably would help, too. It's hard to do nothing; often, even prayer, being so intangible, seems woefully inadequate.

I guess the only other thing is, if someone can't see Christ then as much as possible, be Christ for him. I hope that doesn't sound too trite or silly, it's just the only thing I know to do.

Rick said...

It doesn't seems trite or silly to me, Julie. I mean, it was O working through a person that finally worked for me.
No small amount of faith and patience for it is needed too, I think.
Thanks, Julie.

julie said...

it was O working through a person that finally worked for me.

Yep, me too.

:)