Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Alas, Babylon

I try to avoid putting topical or political commentary here when I can. But today the Biblical and the political are colliding.

Last night the rumor was that Obama would advocate Israel returning to its (indefensible) 1967 borders. I thought this was just smoke to mislead. It was inconceivable to me that an American president would side with Israel's enemies to assure her destruction. Even when Henry Kissinger advised allowing Israel to suffer a little during the '73 Yom Kippur War, Nixon stepped up to provide the munitions and support that Meier requested in a desperate hour. Yet the inconceivable is reality in our new Dali world.


Despite my disagreements with Dispensational hermeneutics, I suppose I am a Christian Zionist. The Jews are God's people. My Lord and my God walked this earth as a Jew. The foundations of my faith rest upon Judaism. I love the Old Testament as much as I love the New Testament.

Putting aside religion, from a purely political point of view, Israel is an American ally. Yet this is an effort to bully the Jewish state into a ill-conceived compromise with those who would see Israel obliterated. If someone wants to kill you, it is not really feasible to attempt a compromise with them. What? Isn't half-dead good enough for you?

It is clear that the antisemitism of Black Liberation Theology is part of Obama's thinking. The President's proclaimed Christianity is questionable. To make this speech is a mistake. To make it while the Israeli Prime Minister is visiting is an insult. I don't know how effective Obama will be in implementing this disastrous plan, but I can say that, to the extent he is successful, he will suffer. And if America supports Obama in destroying Israel, America will suffer more than she has already.

Obama appears to believe that the killing of Osama bin Laden gives him solid ground from which to attack Israel while offering support to the Muslim Brotherhood now in control of Egypt. Possibly he is correct as far as it goes. Many Americans really are not paying much attention. Perhaps they will miss the fact that we are "forgiving" a billion or so in loans to Egypt and guaranteeing new loans of around a billion or so, helping that economy while our own people struggle to pay their bills. Perhaps they will not grasp the fact that Obama's proposal dramatically weakens Israel's position in negotiating with the Palestinians. Be that as it may, I suggest that there is One who is paying attention.

Obama's speechwriters can put all the icing on it they want with statements about assuring Israel's existence. This speech is still a fresh, steaming cow pie thrown in Netanyahu's face. This is hot, bloody meat thrown to the ravening dogs of Hezbollah, Hamas, the Muslim Brotherhood, and Iran.

A return to the borders as they existed before the Six Day War would mean the loss of East Jerusalem.

Psalm 122 (ESV)
I was glad when they said to me,
Let us go to the house of the LORD!
Our feet have been standing
within your gates, O Jerusalem!
Jerusalem-built as a city
that is bound firmly together,
to which the tribes go up,
the tribes of the LORD,
as was decreed for Israel,
to give thanks to the name of the LORD.
There thrones for judgment were set,
the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem!
May they be secure who love you!
Peace be within your walls
and security within your towers!
For my brothers and companions' sake
I will say, Peace be within you!
For the sake of the house of the LORD our God,
I will seek your good.


I think I will stand with Israel. Alas, Babylon.

4 comments:

Rick said...

Cooncur.

Joan of Argghh! said...

By the waters of Babylon
We lay down and wept
for thee, Zion.

We remember, thee, Zion.

julie said...

I hadn't heard that rumor. Dread news, indeed. We are living in heavy times; it seems like the next election can't come soon enough, and yet I wonder if it will even bring much in the way of improvement, assuming Obama is out. If we abandon Israel...

I don't even like to think about it.

Van Harvey said...

"I don't know how effective Obama will be in implementing this disastrous plan, but I can say that, to the extent he is successful, he will suffer. And if America supports Obama in destroying Israel, America will suffer more than she has already."

Yep. I hope it's a sign of a trend, but I heard that Canada refused to support Obamao's plan. I had a couple things to say on it too, Israel has a Right not only to exist, but to define it's existence. Period.