Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Et Tu, Edistuo?

I must have been born inside out
with sunburnt skin for a soul
where I could feel each shackled wince
as a burning touch, straitened
in the unshell strapped down
with gut, sinew wrapped and muscle bound.
Outside in fingers feel only nerve endings,
and those murmurs I hear in my turned in ears
are the swallowed words of my turned in mouth.
Standing on my head as my wrong way feet
backtrack across my unchambered heart.
My superpower is night vision
but I see only the back side of my eye balls
in the infrared of my conscious mind
while primal fears parade in flashing neon
round about for all to read
except me.
Carve your initials in my bones
and paint my skull cap red.
What do you suppose will go on my coffin
when what ain't me is dead?

2 comments:

mushroom said...

I am without excuse.

julie said...

None is needed; I think you nailed it pretty well.