Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, November 8, 2010

Ode to an Easy Out

When I became embittered and my innermost being was wounded, I was a fool and didn't understand: I was an unthinking animal toward You. — Psalm 73:21-22

I've noticed that there are people who would seem to have every right to be angry with God yet are not. Then there are people like me who ought to be ashamed to complain yet frequently cry out against God in anger and frustration. Bitterness is a dangerous state of being. We are warned against allowing bitterness to take root in us (Hebrews 12:15). For this attitude has the power not just to put down roots in us but to blossom and go to seed. It can potentially "defile many". The writer said earlier in this same Psalm that if he had spoken his thoughts aloud, he would have betrayed God's people (verse 15). Bitterness is as invasive as it is destructive. To be bitter is to be sour on life. It corrodes our trust and turns us away from the transforming power of God's love for and acceptance of us.

My dad used to get wound up during "hay time". It was a big management challenge. Everything had to line up. The weather in our part of the country is never predictable, even these days, and putting up hay in good shape is very weather-dependent. The equipment had to be ready to roll; break-downs could be disastrous. On top of that, back before everyone was using big round bales, getting square bales out of the fields and into the barns required a good deal of manual labor and was thus dependent on the availability of hay hands.

My cousin lived a mile from us, and with his three sons and me, we could put together a pretty decent crew. We would put up hay at my Dad's place or my cousin's then move to the other farm. This particular year Dad had gotten his up first. He pulled the John Deere baler up to the house and got ready to service it before hitting the road to his nephew's. Dad was meticulous and thorough with his grease gun. He checked bolts and belts. Those old square balers were precise pieces of machinery. Everything had to be timed just right in order for the bales to be tied consistently and securely. There were little tempered steel "fingers" that caught the twine and pulled the knots tight. There were knives that cut the twine smoothly to set up for the next bale to be tied. Dad decided to take the knives off and touch them up. They were held in position by bolts that went down into threaded holes in the heavy gauge steel of the baler's chute.

One came off with no problem. The second one seemed tight. I offered to give the wrench a try. Dad replied, "No, you're liable to twist it off." He had barely gotten the words out of his mouth when there was an odd little sound and the wrench began to turn with sickening ease. The bolt head fell from the wrench with a slight clang against the spring steel and the jagged silver of the shaft stared up at us in leering brightness. Dad's reaction was completely understandable. He began to whale upon the baler with his wrench in a rapid, regular, if not rhythmic time. I think he was also speaking curses upon John Deere and that person's misformed progeny for many future generations, but the clanging tended to make his utterances less than intelligible, which was not necessarily a bad thing. It went on for quite some time like a synchronized stampede of belled cows or a coked-up speed metal drummer in a blacksmith shop.

As an aside, we tried drilling into the the shaft and extracting it with a spiral Easy Out. The Easy Out snapped, and the shaft of that thing was so hard the drill bit skidded off, so we laborious drilled around it with a very small bit and eventually punched everything out piece by piece.

All of us are overwhelmed at times by circumstances that catch us completely by surprise and block us from moving in our chosen or necessary direction. A flash of anger under those conditions is not terribly detrimental to us. When I spend good money on a piece of equipment, I have the reasonable expectation that it will perform as expected. If it breaks or fails or does not in some way live up to my expectations, it frustrates me. I have done all that I could to ensure success, but I have not achieved my goal. When we allow ourselves to experience frustration every day, however, we are on the path to bitterness.

Many of us set ourselves up for frustration by expecting breaks and benefits and advantages that never come. Especially here in America we are told that things ought to go our way. We should expect to have the best and be the best. The better among us understand that to mean that we can overcome every obstacle and meet any challenge. Many of us, though, are apt to think it means we won't encounter obstacles, that we won't suffer pain. When we do, more often than not, we start letting the failures wound us. Loss and defeat no longer merely sting the surface but penetrate to our "innermost being". If this happens once in a while, we can overcome and heal, perhaps; when it happens continually, the cumulative effect makes us hopeless and joyless.

Evidently the Psalmist did not own a dog or he would have never characterized his foolishness as making him an "unthinking animal". I have never met a bitter dog. I have met mean dogs and broken dogs but never a bitter dog. No dog thinks that the world owes it anything. Any tidbit of special food or kindness or attention is relished. Dogs are possibly the most consistently grateful creatures on the planet. Gratitude is the antidote for bitterness. Of all peoples who have ever lived from the dawn of humanity until now, we should be the most thankful. Need I say that we are not? We are spoiled; we are cynical, and we are bitter.

Spiritual disciplines are necessary for most of us — probably for all of us — if we are not going to be "conformed to this world" by the pressures and fears that surround us. There's no legalism in discipline. We are not performing to please or manipulate God but to refresh, exercise, and strengthen our spirit-man over the self. Practicing thankfulness is about as simple as it gets yet few disciplines are more beneficial.

Give thanks in everything, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

12 comments:

Rick said...

Great post, Mush.
I'll tell you what I'm thankful for. I really thought you stabbed yourself when you twisted the shaft in two. I have a knife phobia. I may have mentioned it.
That is a sick feeling, when the shaft sort of melts like that. Like it gives up.
I wish I had a nickel for every knuckle I busted, every thing stripped, overtightened, dropped, snapped, dunked, whatever.
And the rage..cause you knew you were gonna do it.
I remember a co-worker carrying a laser printer out the door in the winter to get it repaired. This was when they were really expensive. Kind of a clumsy guy. He slipped on the ice and we all watched the thing in slow motion go up...and come down. It smashed in to a million pieces.
They were actually able to repair it. It was like a miracle.
Just like everything else I cursed, somehow either got fixed, we lived, or it just doesn't matter enough to remember whatever became of x.
I like the description of the planning for the hay effort. The things you don't see that go into a job. And especially the risk of breakdown. You don't know about the worry that went into something if it turns out well.

mushroom said...

That's a powerful message about the printer. Our immediate reaction is to rail against the broken thing, and it's amazing how often we are able to recover from what appears to be something catastrophic.

I know what you mean about the busted knuckles -- sometimes it seems like machines are possessed by malevolent spirits. One of my most un-favorite injuries is pinching some part of my hand in pliers. Needlenose or fencing pliers are the worst.

robinstarfish said...

Sitting here smiling at the memories of bucking hay - the point being that memory can alchemize pain into pleasure. I certainly loathed the work at the time. But those HS days of working in the blazing fields beyond my physical capacity still serve me well. I believe it's how I learned to never give up.

mushroom said...

That's true. Once I was out and going, I was generally all right. I always dreaded starting. Getting up in the morning knowing I had a long, long day ahead was kind of disheartening. Or if the hay wouldn't quite bale, and we were stuck in the field waiting for an hour or two -- that was bad.

Rick said...

The three of us may have been separated at birth.

mushroom said...

I think that sometimes. I couldn't ask for two better brothers.

Rick said...

That's awful nice of you to say.
Same here.

robinstarfish said...

This is a wonderful field to meet in, sitting on hay bales, sipping some 40 year old Scotch as the sun goes down.

In a Blazing Saddles sort of way. ;-)

Bob's Blog said...

Thank you!

mushroom said...

You're welcome, Bob, and you're a brother, too.

Blazing Saddles explains it all.

mushroom said...

Just a note: I've been out of circulation the last couple of days. I got the lens in my right eye replaced Wednesday. So I'm fully bionic now, no glasses necessary for most functions. Left eye takes care of distance; right eye is for reading and close work. Everything is working well so far.

Rick said...

Ah good deal, Mush. Was wondering were you were. Glad it wasn't work overload.
Wow, no glasses. That's awesome.