Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fig leaves and Spiderwebs

But the LORD God called to the man, “Where are you?” – Genesis 3:9

Did the Lord need to ask this question? We could see this as the Divine Parent addressing the misbehaving child with a rhetorical, “What have you done?” On one level, God calls man to become aware of his state, make his confession, and begin his return to right-standing. God needs to and does ask all of us this same question. Beyond that, however, sin creates what appears to be an impenetrable wall between God and man. In some sense, apart from Christ, man is hidden from his Creator.

God cannot “see through” sin. He does not lack the power, but it runs across the grain of His Being. It is like interference. Sin always involves some kind of deception. To deceive is to hide or obscure truth in some manner. If we think about it, the whole idea that we will tell people things we ourselves do not believe or that we know to be untrue is rather fantastic. That deception can at times appear the wise or reasonable path shows us how twisted we are. Most of us do not approve of being lied to, but we have fewer qualms about lying to others – from the peace-keeping “No, Honey, your butt doesn’t look big” to the desperate “Who are you going to believe? Me, or your lying eyes.” Hiding behind falsehood is almost the definition of humanity.

If there is any flaw in The Screwtape Letters, it is that ol’ Screwtape seems to reveal more than a devil should, even among his colleagues. Lewis was aware of this, but he had to pull the curtain back a little. To tell the truth in the negative you still have to tell the truth. In his foreword, Lewis described what he wanted to avoid: But the really pernicious image is Goethe’s Mephistopheles. It is Faust, not he, who really exhibits the ruthless, sleepless, unsmiling concentration upon self which is the mark of Hell. The humorous, civilized, sensible, adaptable Mephistopheles has helped to strengthen the illusion that evil is liberating.

Far from liberating us, evil is a lock that disguises itself as a key, a predator that looks like prey. Evil hides by its very nature, and the follower of evil is swallowed up and hidden within sin’s dark belly. We recall God’s words to Cain: If you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.. Deception is pictured as a wild beast that will turn on and devour its master if we fail to keep it beaten down.

It is not that God does not see evil taking place. Our sins are not hidden from Him. No one is getting away with anything in the dark. Rather, because the sinner is cloaked in sin, God no longer sees His own image and likeness. He does not rain down judgment upon man but upon sin. Of course, if one is “in sin” when the smack-down comes, the effect is pretty much the same.

The one Man of whom the Father never lost sight was the Son – not until the Cross when the Son was enveloped by the darkness of the sin of all humanity. Christ’s obedience and perfect righteousness, even when engulfed by evil, shattered the big lie once and for all. Sin was turned inside out. And sin's captives were set free -- dumped out like reprieved kittens from a tow sack.

Sin no longer hides us from God. We need no longer take sin as a covering for our nakedness: Their cobwebs are useless for clothing; they cannot cover themselves with what they make. As Paul said, …[W]e do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. We are clothed with Christ and hidden in Him.

8 comments:

robinstarfish said...

Rather, because the sinner is cloaked in sin, God no longer sees His own image and likeness.

Ah - that takes the question back full circle. Back to the answer. Click.

Rick said...

Good post, Mushroom.
Timely too. I've been noticing Judas lately. Not sure why. But he seems to be a bit of a paradox all of a sudden to me. I suppose until lately I've been taking him for granted. Not so much him, but his role or actions. He changes in strange ways and more than once. It's quite a complex situation.

What do you think?

Rick said...

I forgot to hit the "email me follow-up comments.." button.

mushroom said...

Another guy that is fascinating in a similar way is David's general Joab whose name means "Yahwah is Father". He's David's nephew and obviously an accomplished warrior. He always seems to have David's best interests at heart, up until the very end when he backs Adonijah over Solomon for the succession. He warns David against numbering the Israelites, but he has no qualms about assisting David in the murder of Uriah.

David is forced to distance himself from Joab over the general's treacherous assassinations of both Abner and Amasa. Yet he's the man who took the Jebusite stronghold and liberated Jerusalem. He's definitely a man you want on your side, but one on whom it is unwise to turn one's back.

Rick said...

Interesting.
I'm always impressed by your depth of knowledge in the Bible stories. Many times it feels as though I've never read it. Of course, it's an immense book.
I've been focusing on the NT, more so lately. Been listening to it (audio version of the KJV). It still "sounds" like a different book this way (than reading it).

Anyway, half of me worries if one should really study this Judas situation. You know, "don't go there" and all that.
And the other half says there may be a valuable lesson and you are supposed to go. Delaying is just delaying.

Walk softly may always be a good approach..

mushroom said...

Here's David Olney's take on Judas -- slightly scary, slightly amusing. If you can find Emmylou's cover from her Cowgirl's Prayer CD, it is worth the trouble. There's also a bluegrass version by James King that's good.

Jerusalem Tomorrow

Man you should have seen me way back then
I could tell a tale, I could make it spin
I could tell you black was white I could tell you day was night
Not only that I could tell you why
Back then I could really tell a lie

Well I'd hire a kid to say he was lame
Then I'd touch him and make him walk again
Then I'd pull some magic trick I'd pretend to heal the sick
I was takin' everything they had to give
It wasn't all that bad a way to live

Well I'm in this desert town and it's hot as hell
But no one's buyin' what I got to sell
I make my lame kid walk I make a dumb guy talk
I'm preachin' up a storm both night and day
But everyone just turns and walks away

Well I can see that I'm only wasting time
So I head across the road to drink some wine
This old man comes up to me He says I seen you on the street
You're pretty good if I do say myself
But the guy that come thru here last month he was somethin' else

Instead of callin' out for fire from above
He just gets real quiet and talks about love
And I'll tell you somethin' funny He didn't want nobody's money
Now I'm not exactly sure what this all means
But it's the damndest thing I swear I've ever seen

Well since that time every town is the same
I can't make a dime, I don't know why I came
I decide I'll go and find him And find out who's behind him
He has everyone convinced that he's for real
Well I figure we can work us out a deal

So he offers me a job and I say fine
He says I'll get paid off on down the line
Well I guess I'll string along Don't see how too much can go wrong
As long as he pays my way I guess I'll follow
We're headed for Jerusalem tomorrow

Rick said...

Thanks, Mush.
You're right...slightly scary, slightly amusing.

Rick said...

Almost finished with that book that was mentioned on OC a while back, called "What Jesus saw from the cross".
The author spends a fair amount of time on the "Judas" problem. Good book. Also early on in it he provides a good collection of excerpts from the OT that prefigure Jesus.