Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sailor Bees

It was Sunday. The bees paid no heed. They rolled in the pollen of my rose-of-sharon, in muskmelon blooms and the bright gold stars of cucumbers-to-be -- the worker worthy of his hire observing a sacred truce where I played alongside. Slender tendrils in green and yellow probe the air for a hold or fall humbly to the dust of earth. I am the tucker, tucking the suckers back into the metal matrix, the eight-gauge lattice that lets cucumber and cantaloupe ascend a melon stairway to heaven. Pole beans like it, too. Even tomatoes bend a little to my will and warp to its weft. They form woven walls on either side of my garden, a living hull with outrigger potato beds to starboard and strawberries to port. We sail with bees in the rigging, east to west in the solar sea.

5 comments:

Beach Head said...

Oh I like this..
Keep it up!

robinstarfish said...

I would love to walk that garden. For real that is. I just did in my mind.

mushroom said...

You are both always welcome to stop by.

The strawberries are already in the freezer, but if you hurry, you can pick some whoppin' big tame blackberries right off the cane. They are almost better than the strawberries. Of course, I said the same thing about the strawberries when I was picking and eating them, too.

I've been tempted to try and follow some of the bees to see where they live. I'd not raid their hive. I'm just curious.

robinstarfish said...

I photographed a client's lavender farm today and saw more bees than I needed to. ;-)

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Beautifully written, Mushroom!