Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, November 23, 2009

Assignment: Thanksgiving

Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus – Philippians 4:6-7

I will be out this week, and I want to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving. This is truly the American holy day.

As part of your Thanksgiving, I’d like to make a suggestion, a sort of assignment for us. First, get something in which to keep a journal. It can be your computer, a notepad, or the backs of some old envelopes. Next, as early as possible after you wake up in the morning, write down as many things as you can think of for which you are thankful from the day before. Try to come up with at least five.

For example, in the morning, I’m going to note that I was thankful for a quadruple expresso I had yesterday, that my wife complained very little about my driving, that I was able to find some coffee on sale at the supermarket, that I got a decent haircut, that my daughter has found a reasonably nice place to rent, that she has agreed to let me do the painting before she moves in, that I found the cheapest gasoline ($2.35) in the area right across from Arby’s, that I got an Arby’s roast beef sandwich and the curly fries were actually hot, etc.

Try to make entries in your thankfulness journal every day this week. If you feel it is beneficial, continue. It’s not something that is related solely to the holiday. It’s not something that takes a lot of time to do. Don’t try to make it spiritual. A good expresso is a joy forever – or at least a good long-lasting buzz. Just list stuff that gave you a moment of joy, of slack, of peace, of hope, whatever.

The reason we want to wait until the next morning to make our entries is because sleep allows the meaningfulness and significance of an event to soak into the subconscious and be processed. If we continue this practice and are diligent, I think we will see that God really does work all things together for good to those who love Him.

6 comments:

Rick said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours too, Mushroom.

julie said...

One of the things I'm always thankful for is the raccoons.

Happy Thanksgiving, Mushroom!

Van Harvey said...

Ya know, I used to have a practice of an early morning review of the previous days events and making note of what was significant, but somewhere along the line let it fall away.

This once, I'm going to beat the morning rush and give thanks now that I've been reminded of it.

robinstarfish said...

First off, I'm thankful for Mushroom's fungles. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Rita Loca said...

Action of giving thanks. Some folks have been doing this on their Face Book status updates and it blesses all who read it.

Rick said...

Sorry, Mr. Mushroom. The dog has been eating the rest of my homework. But I did do one the first day...zat count?

Hope you and the family had a good Thanksgiving.