Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, January 12, 2009

Hidden from Plain Sight

Therefore, don’t be afraid of them, since there is nothing covered that won’t be uncovered, and nothing hidden that won’t be made known – Matthew 10:26


The context here is that of Jesus warning His disciples that things may not always go smoothly for them. If people call your teacher a devil, what do you expect they’ll say about you? There is, however, no reason to be afraid of them since you do not have to answer to them. They may kill us, but they cannot damn us. They cannot by their hatred, their sin or malice separate us from Him. God will see to it that things come out the way they should. There’s no need, He says, to be defensive.

I was watching a few minutes of the Giants-Eagles game yesterday around the end of the third quarter when Philadelphia started to wrap it up. It is rarely a good idea to play defensively, even if you’re on the defense.

Defensiveness comes naturally to us psychologically. When someone attacks us, or when things go wrong, we want to speak up, defend ourselves and justify our actions. I’ll admit there are times when self-justification seems acceptable. Where a reasonable person opposes you and simply does not have all the facts, you may be able to enlighten them and clear things up. Even then you are ahead if you can avoid sounding like you’re defending yourself. I suppose I really want to be understood so I try to explain why I am following a particular course of action. Still, I see that I could have saved myself a lot of time and trouble -- not to mention some legal entanglements -- by being content to allow other people to think of me what they chose to think (a key point).

If I could be satisfied with simply doing right I would be much more at peace, and that is the point of the instructions Jesus gave us here. Too often I want to do right and get credit for it as well. I want people to recognize how I have solved the problem or how much I have sacrificed to do the right thing. I certainly don’t want to be castigated because those around me are too shallow, too blinded by self-interest, or just too stupid to understand that I did what needed to be done.

The Lord knows this feeling all too well. I don’t know about anyone else, but I sometimes get to thinking that I could do a better job of running things if it were left in my hands. God needs a better PR agency. He needs to advertise His achievements, game the system a little to get some awards and some public recognition. I know there’s a lot going “behind the scenes”. What’s wrong with bring it out front and getting a little exposure? The problem is God seems to get only bad press. Did you ever hear of a hurricane blowing itself out in the mid-Atlantic being called an “act of God”? Are earthquakes that never occur “acts of God”? The Lord needs to get some of those Hollywood agents on His payroll and do a little self-promotion, right?

OK, maybe not. Maybe I should be more like Him – less concerned for credit than for purity, truth, and righteousness. Perhaps I should be willing to trust the One who “sees in secret” to expose things when they need to be revealed. We don’t expect a painter or a sculptor to unveil a half-finished project (sometimes it’s hard to tell). I have to recognize that I have not reached the point in the story where the “reveal” makes sense. The chapter isn’t finished. The book isn’t finished.

Consider this: a funny short guy found a magic ring which he gave to his nephew who threw it into a volcano and saved the world. Is that The Lord of the Rings? Does it seem like something is missing?

I think today I’ll worry less about what those with limited vision think about me and see if I can’t do what pleases the Lord. I’ll trust Him to justify me instead of trying to justify myself. I’ll leave the hidden things alone to be revealed in their time. I might even try to do more that’s just between me and my Father.

3 comments:

julie said...

"I think today I’ll worry less about what those with limited vision think about me and see if I can’t do what pleases the Lord."

It used to be, I thought a "successful' life was one in which the world is, in the balance, better off in some way for you (or me) having been in it. While I still try to hold to that ideal, these days the only thing that really matters to me is that, in the balance, He's at least a little pleased that i am/ was here. Which becomes more daunting with each passing day, as I realize how far I fall short of that particular ideal. Yeesh.

Bob's Blog said...

Once again you have spoken to me, right where and when I need it. There is somebody at work who I thought liked me, but I found out he talks about me behind my back. I have given it a lot of thought, and decided not to be defensive. You have added what I did not articulate to myself: pray that my actions are pleasing to God, and don't worry about those with limited vision!

Rick said...

Great post, Mushroom.

And this:

"Consider this: a funny short guy found a magic ring which he gave to his nephew who threw it into a volcano and saved the world."

Man. That's perfect.